+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Rolling Stones -- music for dullards?

I'm Alex.

Default The Rolling Stones -- music for dullards?

I've been trying to get into the Rolling Stones, but the more I listen to their music, the more I feel like it's aimed at dullards and dimwits. You know, aimed at people with thick, heavy fog just sitting inside their brains. Could be due to too much beer or pot or any other substance abuse, or just too much inbreeding. Whatever the case may be, their music seems plodding, and, well... dullard-like.

What am I missing here (if anything)?
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm ChrisB.

Firstly, here's one band that I think closely followed 'Andre's First Law of Music': There's very little in their output that's worth listening to, post 1973.

Alex, it's not meant to be cerebral, it's supposed to be about other parts of the body.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Which of the Stones records were you listening to Alex? Most of their output after 'Exile on Main Street' was fairly pedestrian.
    Barry

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    I've been trying to get into the Rolling Stones, but the more I listen to their music, the more I feel like it's aimed at dullards and dimwits. You know, aimed at people with thick, heavy fog just sitting inside their brains. Could be due to too much beer or pot or any other substance abuse, or just too much inbreeding. Whatever the case may be, their music seems plodding, and, well... dullard-like.

Sorry mate you're talking out of your arse, i understand that you may not like the stones, and you are welcome to your opinion, but basically saying that people that like them have fog between their ears or are the product of inbreeding is just wrong are you deliberatly trying to upset folks

Songs like Gimme shelter, you can't always get what you want, wild horses etc. the list goes on and on, they're classics, granted their more recent stuff isn't as good IMHO as the stuff they did through the 60's and 70's, maybe you need to get a fresh set of ears, or go back to listening to whatever it is you like, i mean no ones forcing you to listen to them.

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm tim.

to get the Stones now - you have to read about them too to understand why they are so important.,

in the mean time, listen to Charlie the best white drummer ever, boy can he swing.

Let it bleed
    Beggars Banquet
    Some Girls
    Aftermath
    Sticky Fingers - should be a good start, esp the new DSD CDs

personally I think Exile is massively overrated

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I liked "Black & Blue" from the mid seventies and their late era Decca stuff was excellent to me, but I've not really been excited in any post 70's work at all. I think they've become a business, wheeling themselves out to mostly corporate gigs.

Tony Keidis (Red Hot Chillis) made a comment in his autobiography that his band was a support to the Stones in the early 90's (?) and they weren't allowed anywhere near the Stones' PA or the wooden floor and expensive rugs that Mick Jagger was due to dance on etc etc..
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm John.

Just got this to say really Alex.

Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

I'm Alan.

Q: What am I missing here A: common decency and respect for others tastes and experiences? If people were to post insulting your tastes and beliefs you would be mighty pissed off, in fact you already have been.

If you don't like something just move on to something you do enjoy and leave the smart arse diggs out.

Enjoyment comes from within. Nothing anyone here or elsewhere says can alter your inner responses.

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanS View Post
    Q: What am I missing here A: common decency and respect for others tastes and experiences? If people were to post insulting your tastes and beliefs you would be mighty pissed off, in fact you already have been.

If you don't like something just move on to something you do enjoy and leave the smart arse diggs out.

Enjoyment comes from within. Nothing anyone here or elsewhere says can alter your inner responses.
    Best not to get sucked in by a WUM

WUM or WUMery...

WUM; A person on a forum who delights in being a 'Wind Up Merchant'

WUMery; The act of being one of the above...

Very popular on the cricket forums I subscribe to...e.g. if you want to upset Indian fans post 'Sachin Tendulkar is rubbish!!!' and stand well back...keeps some people happy I suppose

Very odd behaviour on a Hi-Fi forum though...
    Last edited by WAD62; 06-01-2011 at 14:26.
    Cheers, Will

I'm Barry.

Alex
    I was a Beatles fan The Stones were too "grown-up" for me. When I had grown up I'd moved on into prog, so never did The Stones until now.
    The reason being was getting back into vinyl and being able to buy re-issued Stones LP's, this is the way to hear them. I started with Let it Bleed then Her Santanic Majesties and recently Baggers Banquet. You can connect better with the period with vinyl IMO.
    Incidentally "A Bigger Bang" (2005) which we played at work is excellent and liked by all.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast