+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Danielīs minimalist system

Default Danielīs minimalist system

Full view of my system:

My listening position and a beautiful reproduction of the Charles and Ray Eames lounge chair built as a birthday present for Billy Wilder:

Top view of the SAC 300B PP amp in Glow Master Chassis:

Side view of the amp with wonderful BJ 300B tubes:

Front panel of the amp. Please, notice two volume attenuators, one for left channel and one for right channel, very useful, indeed. Sorry for that mess of cables (I hate cables). Cables are: Interconnects: Evidence Audio (electric guitar cables); Zu Tones cables: Evidence Audio (electric guitar amp to speakers); Yamahas subs cables: Ocos and "Old Time" red and blacks. Power cords: stock made in China.

The greatest Exemplar-Denon 2900. Fantastic sounding mod by John Tucker. Now, using GE 5922 tubes, less bass than Mullard E180CC (made in Netherlands) by more detail (in highs and mids) than Mullard:

Left channel Zu Tone monitor and Yamaha YST SW50 sub. Nice stands: a Taschen book on the work of the architecture photographer Julius Shulman. Terrific book about architecture mainly in the States in the 50īs and 60īs:

Right channel Zu Tone monitor and Yamaha YST SW50 sub: Again, curious stand: a book on the economics of football.

A small sample of what Iīm listening these days:

Manīs best friend and bored with my music: León:

My family, from left to right: Daniela, my daughter; the back of my shy wife Adriana and Federico my son...and my new and beautiful house in Montrove, La Coruņa, Spain:

Be patient, in a few days Iīll try to explain the philosophy (if there is one) of this system.

See ya.
    Last edited by Daniel; 01-08-2008 at 19:44.

I'm InSpace.

Hi Daniel,

Welcome to AoS!

I particularly like your choice of disk spinner, I'd be interested to hear more about the modifications please.

Cheers...

P.S... Fantastic looking house BTW! Are you an Architect by any chance?
    Last edited by Mike; 01-08-2008 at 20:25. Reason: Add P.S.
    Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

I'm Nick.

You have just made me a very very jealous man
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Superb, Daniel

Your pictures create a real 'feeling' of your life there in Spain - very nice.

Hi-fi-wise, I really like your system, particularly the Glow Master, which I'd love to hear. It got a really good review in the UK magazine 'Hi-fi World' a few months back.

I will get to your wine recommendations later!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

That is a beautiful room and gorgeous gear! Thanks for sharing!

First, thank you for your comments and your patience to take a look on my gear.

Second, Iīll try to explain "why" this system. I believe the best way to go is by answering the questions or comments posted above.

I particularly like your choice of disk spinner, I'd be interested to hear more about the modifications please.
    My Denon is the one modified by John Tucker from Exemplar Audio and received rave reviews a few years ago.

John uses to change the clock, add a shunt regulator with tubes. I think this last thing is the key of the whole modification, with a blend of solid state and tubes that makes the player sounds great. To be honest, this cd-player sounds very very good, with an impressive stereo image where you can hear the instruments with more body and air, compared, with my previous tubed Shanling player. BTW, today Iīm hearing the Denon with two Amperex "Bugle Boy" tubes and it sings.

I can tell you this, Iīve been in touch with John by the phone -him in the States and me in Spain- and heīs a truly gentleman and stands by his products.

To have a complete picture of the modification performed by John, please, check the following link and see a photo of my Denon from the inside.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/exemplar/denon.html

Are you an Architect by any chance?
    No, Iīm not an architect, but Iīve designed the house. I own a restaurant in La Coruņa and teach classes on investment banking and stock markets at the University of La Coruņa.

Hi-fi-wise, I really like your system, particularly the Glow Master, which I'd love to hear. It got a really good review in the UK magazine 'Hi-fi World' a few months back.
    Yes, give a try to the Glow Master. I think the one available in UK is the one with KT-88 tubes. Mine has an story. Iīll explain it.

Iīm a bit of a "kamikaze" concerning audio gear. My main goal is "price", "sound" and "design", yes in that order. As it is pretty hard to demo audio gear in a small an periferic city like La Coruņa I have to rely on reviews -and, you know, there is a jungle out there- and email those who happen to have the "desire" gear in order to know their experience -Howard Popeck is a good example-.

When I was looking for my 300B I found out two very affordable: one in Thailand and the other in Serbia. After several emails Iīve found out Kittipol from SAC THAILAND have real expertise in audio and excellent comunication -this was something that lacked the guy from Serbia-.

As I liked the Glow Master chassis, I proposed Kittipol to use it with 300B tubes and he agreed.

Also, I asked him to install two volume attenuators -one for right channel and one for left channel- and he agreed too. I find this two volume knobs very useful, because I like to stress one channel over the other so I can have more presence in the "stereo image" of say...a Fender Rhodes electric piano, is like mixing the sound using two channels. Before I forgot, I asked for this modification -the Glow Master is originally designed as a power amp- because I donīt use a pre-amp, instead I like to connect my cd-player direct to the amp.

This 300B has a "push-pull" configuration with 22 watts per channel.

What you hear with this amp:

1- Bass: tight, controled but not constricted. Notice, that I like the distortion or "bloom" that you get with an EL34 tube, you know why, because this distortion is what you get with a Marshall or Vox amp, for instance and this is part of my musical and sentimental memory

2.- Mediums with more body compared to my Unison Research S6 amp. You can hear Warren Haynes guitar sustain until the end of the note.

3.- Highs: extended but not harsh and with a precise definition. Chris Cainīs vibrato all the way up.

I took a very great risk with this amp because I havenīt had any reference and everything went smooth and it turned out a fantastic and enjoyable amp. Anyway, if anything wouldīve ended up as a fiasco Iīve put a "stop loss" like in the stock markets: the price.

In the future, depending on how deep and long is the economical crisis, Iīd like to try an 845 tube based amp. I put my eyes in one made in stainless steel in Germany by Silberglut. Iīve been in touch with Christof several months ago and Iīve found out, again, another designer who knows about audio. In this case, what stops me is the price, like in stock markets: wait and see.

I have to go now. Next post will be about my speakers, subs, my weird connections and room acoustic deficiencies.

Bye.
    Last edited by Daniel; 03-08-2008 at 18:36.

Hi Daniel

Nice pictorial there !! Good to see some more Zus around here too

nice house,

that room looks like it would be quite "live" with all those hard surfaces, do you also get standing waves? i imagine you would as the room looks quite unform in dimension.
    nice gear though
    O'tooles law states that Murphy was an optimist

Sean, in Hampshire

that room looks like it would be quite "live" with all those hard surfaces
    Not only hard surfaces, concrete and too bared, so Iīm missing some bass. The feeling in my chest of the lower octave, for instance the E note in the first string of a bass when played to the air. I can tell you this because this same kit sounded perfect in my previous room. I expect to solve this matter once a library with my books is installed and some paintings on the walls too. The picture does not show the whole dimension of the room: 30 sq, meters. Time will tell.

Good to see some more Zus around here too
    Yep, they sound very very good. No too analitical as my old Yamahas NS-10M, but with more "live" presence, if you can say so. Sometimes they are a bit forward, but I love this. Itīs delicious to listen Joe Louis Walkerīs guitar or Robert Walterīs Hammond B3 organ coming out of these boxes.

In the future, I expect a pair of used or demo Zu Mini Method crosses my path. The economic crisis surely will bring some oportunities.

BTW, the Zu line has an amazing design.

One last thing: I connect the subs and the speakers in parallel to the amp. This way I keep the bass coming out form the speakers. Also, I go a step further: I connect the right and left channel of the left side sub the left speaker connector output in the amp. The same for the right side sub. This way I achieve a most powerful bass. Weird, hmm.

See ya.
    Last edited by Daniel; 18-08-2008 at 16:45.

I'm ILOB.

Nice gear The Glowmaster is very special
    What made you use books to alter height of the speakers
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast