+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 1486 FirstFirst ... 4567816561065061006 ... LastLast

Thread: Now Screening - What Are You Watching Right Now?

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Quote Originally Posted by chris@panteg View Post
    Hi Mark

I was thinking with that amazing 56 screen of your's ' lawrence of arabia ' would look fabulous and although many slate it ' Ryan's Daughter ' to me its just such a beautiful looking film , yes a small story set on a large canvas but still a work of art to me , Ireland's west coast and the way he tries to capture that magical light , brilliant .
    Hello Chris, my head is on straight now so i can reply at last

Yes, i'd love to see Lawrence of Arabia (blu ray) on this TV or my projector tbh. I can't remember what the aspect ratio of the film was on DVD, but at a guess it'd probably be better on the TV if it's 2.35:1 or 2.40:1 as there would be no annoying black bars top & bottom. As well as that it'd scale it up a tad to 2560 x 1080 pixels & this does make a noticeable difference.

Brilliant film & incredible acting from Peter O'Toole

The same could be said of John Mills in Ryans Daughter

As for 2001 i think i ought to get a look at the blu ray again as i haven't played it since i purchased this TV & it'll be interesting to see how it looks now scaled up
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid Malenfant View Post
    Hello Chris, my head is on straight now so i can reply at last

Yes, i'd love to see Lawrence of Arabia (blu ray) on this TV or my projector tbh. I can't remember what the aspect ratio of the film was on DVD, but at a guess it'd probably be better on the TV if it's 2.35:1 or 2.40:1 as there would be no annoying black bars top & bottom. As well as that it'd scale it up a tad to 2560 x 1080 pixels & this does make a noticeable difference.

:
    My version is 1:2.20 if it's any help
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Better on the TV then Martin
    Bests, Mark

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Hi Alex

Nice one ,what size screen you got .

I bought 2001 on HDDVD a couple of years back for £4 but can only play it through my pc's BD/HDVD into a 26' just not big enough canvas to do it justice
    42" 16:9 Panny plasma - not ideal but should still be pretty!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    My version is 1:2.20 if it's any help
    Yes it is 1:2.20 , that means black bars at the sides
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm john.

Watched the programme on BBC 3 last night about the effects of Cannabis.....anyone who smokes th stuff should maybe have got a wee fright.
    John.

Yes it is 1:2.20 , that means black bars at the sides
    Actually no, on a standard widscreen TV (16/9) you'd get slightly smaller black bars top & bottom campared to 2.35:1 (by the way i think it should be the other way round IE 2.20:1).

On mine it'll fill the screen & a small bit will be lopped off the top & bottom, not a big deal as i often watch 1.85:1 films scaled up & lose quite a bit more Again though it doesn't hardly ever make itself evident as virtually all the important stuff goes on nearer the centre of the screen
    Bests, Mark

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid Malenfant View Post
    Actually no, on a standard widscreen TV (16/9) you'd get slightly smaller black bars top & bottom campared to 2.35:1 (by the way i think it should be the other way round IE 2.20:1).

On mine it'll fill the screen & a small bit will be lopped off the top & bottom, not a big deal as i often watch 1.85:1 films scaled up & lose quite a bit more Again though it doesn't hardly ever make itself evident as virtually all the important stuff goes on nearer the centre of the screen
    Hi Andy

Yes i know on my puny 32 incher there will be black bars ' top and bottom but for some reason i thought it would be at the sides with your panoramic screen ? does it zoom automatically then or can you watch in the original ratio .
    Chris

I can watch it as it's delivered by the blu ray or DVD or i can scale it up. If i was to watch a standard 1.85:1 film that would fill (well just about as TVs are 1.77:1) a standard widescreen TV panel i'd get black bars left & right. In the case of a cinemascope picture like 2.35 or 2.40:1 pic it'd have black all the way around the picture.

If i scale it up to 21/9 then a cinemascope pic fills the screen & it might crop a few lines depending on the actual aspect ratio. With a 2.20:1 picture i'd expect very thin black lines top & bottom.

The answer is i can scale anything, i actually prefer to watch something like Avatar scaled up to fill the screen, yes i may lose a good bit from the top & bottom as it's a native 1.85:1 film, but it just looks better imo
    Bests, Mark

I'm Chris.

Thanks Mark

That must be some amazing TV , Richer sounds are doing the them for £999 at the moment , another thought ! what about Ben Hur shot in 2.66-1 , not many films shot in this ratio .
    Chris

+ Reply to Thread