+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 1486 FirstFirst ... 3456715551055051005 ... LastLast

Thread: Now Screening - What Are You Watching Right Now?

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Lawrence of Arabia - I've got the DVD special edition - breathtkaking film - a true epic - and looks like it was made yesterday except for the use of real people instead of cartoony computer graphics in the big scenes.
    Comparably, 2001 on Blu-ray is simply gorgeous with all of the careful special effects looking astounding considering there was no CGI in those days. The Moon landing scene, where all the people appear in different windows - gobsmacking, I've no idea how Kubrick achieved it. Still the best visuals/music pairing ever created?

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

2001 is an amazing film , shot in cinerama 70 ! now how would that look on that philips 56 incher
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

MartinT Guest

When I saw it in 70mm it was the first and only time that I saw a film get a standing ovation in the cinema. That was its power!

I'm Chris.

Hi Martin

Agreed its an astounding art movie , my pal John is an english lecturer and media teacher , and he often uses this movie in class along with Forbidden planet , and films by Verner Hertzog .
    Chris

I'm Jerry.

Why do so many people think that 2001 is difficult to understand? The monilith is a communication device, when its uncovered on the moon it warns the powers that be that Earth has reached a stage when it humanity is capable of its own genocide. The Star Child is just a representation of a protective force looking after the Earth.
    Thats the way I see it anyway.
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm Chris.

Hi Jerry

A lot of people don't like to use their brain when watching movies , and prefer films like Transformer's or Rambo
    Chris

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

You gits, another Amazon purchase I've just had to make! Still, £7.97 with free delivery from Amazon - would be rude not to!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    You gits, another Amazon purchase I've just had to make! Still, £7.97 with free delivery from Amazon - would be rude not to!

Really? I might have a piece off that myself - 2001 is a film that can hold you by power of visuals alone - who cares what the plot interpretation is?

As to combining music and visuals the other masterpiece in that regard must be 'Goodfellas'
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm john.

Love 2001......never understood the end...Can anyone explain ?????????????
    John.

I'm Chris.

Hi Alex

Nice one ,what size screen you got .

I bought 2001 on HDDVD a couple of years back for £4 but can only play it through my pc's BD/HDVD into a 26' just not big enough canvas to do it justice
    Chris

+ Reply to Thread