+ Reply to Thread
Page 469 of 1486 FirstFirst ... 3694194594674684694704714795195699691469 ... LastLast
Results 4,681 to 4,690 of 14855

Thread: Now Screening - What Are You Watching Right Now?

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Interesting that Michael Caine gets sole billing on the blu ray box when the star was Stanley Baxter. Caine was almost unknown when the film was made.
    Probably because most folk under fifty wouldn't know who Stanley Baker was. (Stanley Baxter was the Irish comedian by the way )
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

Yup, box office, and no truth will be allowed to interfere with the moneymaking. Private Hook was a recipient of the VC and of good conduct pay... In actual fact Private Hook was a Methodist lay preacher, and a God-fearing person. He wasn't a drunkard. His family and regiment were furious about the portrayal.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Stanley Baxter was the Irish comedian by the way )
    Wasn't he Scottish?

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy S View Post
    Wasn't he Scottish?
    our Stanley was indeed... from Glasgow one of the funniest guys ever along with Chick Murray and Billy Connolly
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy S View Post
    Wasn't he Scottish?
    Ah. He was.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

Tonite's Double Bill was:

'Glengarry Glenross' (1992)

First saw this a few years prior to being unexpectedly offered a job in sales. I took it out of curiosity to see if sales was anything like it is portrayed in this film. It turned out it was exactly like it is portrayed in this film. I lasted about 4 years. Adapted from the David Mamet play, the all-star cast informally referred to it as 'Death Of A Fucking Salesman' due to the amount of profanity. Aside from that, though this film has a great atmosphere about it. A must see if you've never come across it.

'Time Bandits' (1981)

I recall being in London in 1981 and in the Tube there were hundreds of posters for this film lining the escalators. It's not often mentioned anymore which is a shame because it is really a minor classic of British film. An imaginative youth leading a buttoned down suburban life is unexpectedly taken on an adventure through time by a band of dwarfs. Sounds a bit like 'The Hobbit' but it's nothing like that at all. And no-one in the history of film, not even Morgan Freeman, does a more convincing God than old Sir Ralph does in this.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Neil.

Life (Blu ray)

Pretty good alien on the loose story. Nothing that new, but well made, good acting and an interesting creature.
    Regards Neil

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    'Time Bandits' (1981)

I recall being in London in 1981 and in the Tube there were hundreds of posters for this film lining the escalators. It's not often mentioned anymore which is a shame because it is really a minor classic of British film. An imaginative youth leading a buttoned down suburban life is unexpectedly taken on an adventure through time by a band of dwarfs. Sounds a bit like 'The Hobbit' but it's nothing like that at all. And no-one in the history of film, not even Morgan Freeman, does a more convincing God than old Sir Ralph does in this.
    I have that, and yes it's an excellent Terry Gilliam film. Also agree about Ralph Richarson's 'God' (though Whoopie Goldberg's version in one of the Muppet movies deserves an honourable mention, as does Alanis Morissette's brief portrayal in 'Dogma').
    Barry

I'm Jo.

Default KILL!

a8cba120e64d2081fdbcd719696f2408.jpg

Kill, Kihachi Okamoto, 1968. Criterion Collection DVD [313]

"In this pitch-black action comedy...a pair of down-on-their-luck swordsmen arrive in a dusty, windblown town, where they become involved in a local clan dispute. One, previously a farmer, longs to become a noble samurai. The other, a former samurai haunted by his past, prefers living anonymously with gangsters. But when both men discover the wrongdoings of the nefarious clan leader, they side with a band of rebels who are under siege at a remote mountain cabin. Based on the same source novel as Akira Kurosawa’s 'Sanjuro', Kill! playfully tweaks samurai film convention, borrowing elements from established 'swordplay' classics and seasoning them with a little Italian western."

Illustrates the impressive use made of the widescreen format by many Japanese directors.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Landloper View Post
    a8cba120e64d2081fdbcd719696f2408.jpg

Kill, Kihachi Okamoto, 1968. Criterion Collection DVD [313]

"In this pitch-black action comedy...a pair of down-on-their-luck swordsmen arrive in a dusty, windblown town, where they become involved in a local clan dispute. One, previously a farmer, longs to become a noble samurai. The other, a former samurai haunted by his past, prefers living anonymously with gangsters. But when both men discover the wrongdoings of the nefarious clan leader, they side with a band of rebels who are under siege at a remote mountain cabin. Based on the same source novel as Akira Kurosawa’s 'Sanjuro', Kill! playfully tweaks samurai film convention, borrowing elements from established 'swordplay' classics and seasoning them with a little Italian western."

Illustrates the impressive use made of the widescreen format by many Japanese directors.
    Interesting, I will keep my eyes out for that one. Last really good Samurai film I saw was Hara-Kiri Death of a Samurai. This for me was an amazing film and very moving.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hara-K...h_of_a_Samurai

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1728196/
    Regards Neil

+ Reply to Thread