+ Reply to Thread
Page 436 of 1486 FirstFirst ... 3363864264344354364374384464865369361436 ... LastLast
Results 4,351 to 4,360 of 14855

Thread: Now Screening - What Are You Watching Right Now?

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Roxanne (1987) stars Steve Martin and Daryl Hannah. Directed by Fred Schepisi who later gave us The Russia House.

A modern version of Cyrano de Bergerac.

And a perfect example of Hollywood's obsession with making needless (and usually quite inferior) remakes of Classics. The 'Lady Killers', 'City of Angels' and 'Psycho' are other examples.
    Barry

Watched last night on the LFC (?) channel - 'The Bedsitting Room'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Be...ng_Room_(film)
    Barry

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    And a perfect example of Hollywood's obsession with making needless (and usually quite inferior) remakes of Classics. The 'Lady Killers', 'City of Angels' and 'Psycho' are other examples.
    Very few cases of the remake being better than the original, for me, anyway. I prefer the remake of 'Cape Fear', prefer the Brando 'Mutiny On The Bounty' to the Laughton effort.

Sometimes they have their own merits. The Donald Sutherland version of 'Invasion Of The Body Snatchers' for example. But it's rare.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Yes they do exist, but they are rare, very rare.
    Barry

I'm Grant.

Bogey's The Maltese falcon was a remake. as was the thing and the fly. Michael Mann’s Heat is actually a remake of his own TV effort, L.A. Takedown.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

'The Liberators Of Dachau'

Documentary made up mostly of interviews with survivors and the American troops who liberated them. Much prefer this sort of treatment to the recent trend of having some celeb going there to 'learn about it' and telling you how they feel.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

How do you rate 'The Silence of the Lambs' with 'Manhunter'?
    Barry

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    How do you rate 'The Silence of the Lambs' with 'Manhunter'?
    Manhunter any day. Ive got them all from a long time ago when i was more into this genre. I dont watch this now, but manhunter was better.. similar to the first terminator film when Arnie was the baddie...much better Thats not to say SoL is bad, coz its a very good film. The best of the ones he did
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Agreed - 'Manhunter' for me.
    Barry

I'm Grant.

another remake I prefer is the front page with Walter Matthau and Jack Lemmon , which was a remake of the 1940 film with Cary Grant... His Girl Friday, which is also very good.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread