+ Reply to Thread
Page 433 of 1486 FirstFirst ... 3333834234314324334344354434835339331433 ... LastLast
Results 4,321 to 4,330 of 14855

Thread: Now Screening - What Are You Watching Right Now?

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Been watching the 'Sharpe' films made for Carlton TV. Can't comment on the historical accuracy, but the production values seem high. Enjoying them all.
    They are excellent. Great cast and acting too.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

I watch those sometimes. They are okay but not great. Pretty much like the books. Shame they can't do the Flashman books. I still hold out hope of seeing a decent film or tv show made from them.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm sorted.

Arena - Alone with Chrissy Hynde on BBC4

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I watch those sometimes. They are okay but not great. Pretty much like the books. Shame they can't do the Flashman books. I still hold out hope of seeing a decent film or tv show made from them.
    unlikely here as they are so politically incorrect. Even more unlikely in US, where I guess soon the incorrectness wont matter but him being all things British will.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Been watching the 'Sharpe' films made for Carlton TV. Can't comment on the historical accuracy, but the production values seem high. Enjoying them all.
    got the boxset here. never watched it as it was all on telly at time I got it and not revisited yet.
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    but him being all things British will.
    What? A cheating, lying, womanising coward?

See your point.

We need more political incorrectness in my view; cometh the hour cometh the man, as it were.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    What? A cheating, lying, womanising coward?

See your point.

We need more political incorrectness in my view; cometh the hour cometh the man, as it were.
    In many ways i agree. But Americans are not really interested in anything non American. They would have to make him a Yank and then the whole thing would be re written and screwed up. They made one once but it didnt work, so maybe best kept as books of joy. Ive got them all, and again most on audio cds that i listen too when in car. Much more enjoyable than music. Folk must think me nuts driving down rd laughing all the time
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    In many ways i agree. But Americans are not really interested in anything non American.
    They like historical costume drama stuff though. And several of the books are set in the USA.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Grant.

True. Not sure its really the type of thing that converts to film well. Too much in it, and getting an actor that could pull it off even harder. Plus the racism and sexism would be an off put to both actors and studios i think. They got away with it in likes of Roots as the whites lost etc. Fladhy always comes out on top lol.
    Have to say if folk havent tried the books then its worth the trying as long as your open minded
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Robert Downy Jr could do it. He'd be my pick, anyway. Most of the racism and sexism is in Flashman's commentary, so could be played down a bit. The actual events are fairly historically accurate and there are a lot of strong female and ethnic characters in all the stories. Not saying it would be easy, but I watch so many films that cost $100 million and think why did they bother making a film of that crap when there are these great stories lying unused?
    Current Lash Up:

+ Reply to Thread