+ Reply to Thread
Page 360 of 1486 FirstFirst ... 2603103503583593603613623704104608601360 ... LastLast
Results 3,591 to 3,600 of 14855

Thread: Now Screening - What Are You Watching Right Now?

I'm Grant.

Reach for the Sky (1956) starring Douglas Bader as Kenneth More ...lol yes, probably the role that made More a real star and thrust Bader into the limelight ... Great WW2 story this and a true tale of achievement
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Landloper View Post
    Criterion Eclipse Series box Kinoshita and World War II

Attachment 17026

The Living Magoroku

Attachment 17027

Propaganda piece by Keisuke Kinoshita, his second film made in 1943.

Despite the fact that this film was made to comply with a government directive about cinema highlighting the importance of Japan's wartime agricultural production, Kinoshita manages at times to tap into a broader view of Japan and her culture pitting wartime expediency against rural superstition.

Onagi, a sickly and self-obsessed man too frail to serve in the military gradually rises to a broader sense of self and to a growing awareness of the Yamato-damashii or Japanese Spirit. The symbolic bridge between the past and present is exemplified by two examples of the samurai sword, one, a famous blade forged by Magoroku in the 16th century, the other is one being made for an officer shortly leaving for the front who vows to wield it to great effect against the '...weakling Americans...'.

In the end modernisation trumps the old superstition in the form of a curse on the males of the Onagi line should they allow an old battle site owned by the family to be farmed. The cultivation of the hitherto hallowed field begins so as to provide more food for Japan's war effort.

Certainly not the greatest Japanese film but it does at times manage to escape the constraints imposed by the wartime nationalist state.
    Sounds interesting.
    Regards Neil

I'm Grant.

The Vikings season 3

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp(1943) starring Roger Livesey and Deborah Kerr, with Anton Walbrook. Cinematography by Georges Perinal and Directed by Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger. Fully restored Blu-Ray, and stunning it is.

Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Having one of my Carry On nights again.... Likes me smut

Carry on Doctor for starters

Dont fancy Geoffs one on the left much although they say she was a goer
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Andr'e.

Hattie Jacques.. Sad innit cos most those old Carry on Actors are no longer with us..

I'm Grant.

Barbara Windsor (1937), who appeared in 10 Carry Ons, is 78. Jim Dale (1935) appeared in 11 Carry Ons and is now 80. Think thats the only 2 of the semi regulars alive Andre. The main gang are all as you say gone. Julian Holloway is I think still alive too, although doing 9 films, most would struggle to frame his face in their minds.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Andr'e.

Carry ons are not carry on without old Sid James..

I'm Grant.

Aye, he was a mainstay, and did 20 films I think. 4th most prolific. had an affair with Babs that nearly got him done in, and liked to claim to have been a boxer etc, but in fact was a ladies hairdresser, and a good one at that. A face that launched a 1000 ships in reverse
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

now dont lose your head..... with Sid as the black fingernail

Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread