+ Reply to Thread
Page 348 of 1486 FirstFirst ... 2482983383463473483493503583984488481348 ... LastLast
Results 3,471 to 3,480 of 14855

Thread: Now Screening - What Are You Watching Right Now?

I'm Grant.

Another one of my top 10 is "The Grapes of Wrath" from 1940. John Ford's double Oscar winner starring Henry Fonda, Jane Darwell, John Carradine and a small role for Ward Bond.. The film caused many a stir in the US, and managed to be banned in some states; some folk dont like seeing the truth I guess...Steinbecks book has been pretty faithfully portrayed especially by Fonda. A must see if you aint seen or read the book.... Obviously some of the stuff in the book was just too much to be put on film in these days, but this film still runs true.

Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

True Grit from 1969.. The Duke and Glen Campbell up against the formidable Kim Darby, as Matty Ross. Some wonderful character acting from Wayne, an scenery and storyline are top end. Henry Hathaway directs from a novel by Charles Portis who also gave us Norwood.

Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Back to "Law and Order" season 1... this is epp 10. Superior show this, as I said before once this season is finished I have season 2 as well. they make superb fillers to the day. I'd say this series was ground breaking, and opened up a whole host of programs to follow.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Neil.

Night of the Comet - 1980s Sci-Fi/Horror B movie - on You Tube.

Never seen this before, its not too bad. Acting is ok, effects simple but ok. End of the world film.
    Regards Neil

I'm Grant.

Not seen that NEIL.

Ive been going through some films etc and found a few that were in big boxes..forgot i had em lol.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Not seen that NEIL.

Ive been going through some films etc and found a few that were in big boxes..forgot i had em lol.
    Lot of movies on You Tube I have never seen before. This is a bit of a teen flick, but its not bad at all.

Watching Food of the Gods now another I have never seen before. Adaptation of HG Wells story.
    Regards Neil

I'm Grant.

Also came across my shelby foote civil war trilogy of books...well volumes.. Wonder if they are of any value lol
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Just finished Star trek 5.. the final frontier., not seen that for some time, but very good film it is, especially as Shatner Directed.

Now it will be Sea of Sand from way back in 1958 and starring Dickie attenborough, as a member of the LRDG attacking behind enemy lines during ww2.. the forerunners of the SAS...John Gregson and Michael Craig co star. Directed by legendary cinematographer Guy green

Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Came acroos this gem in a box... I'd been looking for it; it is "Harlem Nights" from 1989 I think, and stars Eddy Murphy, Richard Pryor and Redd Fox(god bless his smutty soul).
    The fistfight with Della Reese was superb, as were much of the film tbh. It had its critics of course but its still a good period film, being set in 1938 Harlem.

Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Gary.

Watched The Hateful Eight last night.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3460252/

Tarantinio's latest and (not) greatest, was enjoyable enough but firmly in the bottom half of his movies for me..which I guess makes it better than most.
    A great cast, Kurt Russell, Tim Roth, Sam L.J. (naturally..) and a standout gig by Jennifer Jason Leigh.
    Shot in 70mm it looks gorgeous and the score by Ennio Morricone is his best for a while.

The opening sequence is the most cinematic thing I've seen in years:

The "less than good" unfortunately outweigh's the good.
    Peppered with the usual sharp Tarantino dialogue and a few standout moments it's enjoyable enough, but to me even thats starting to get a little cliche'd.
    First 2/3rds of the film are dialogue setting up the characters, the "payoff" is in the final act.
    Good idea but overly long and could have done with a good half hour trimmed off.
    Also, not enough WTF moments like some of his other films to make it stand out, though the ones that are there are good.

Well worth a watch though as Tarantino on a bad day is better than most on a good day. 7/10

An interesting story...
    Martin Guitars loaned the film company a very rare 145 year old Martin acoustic from their museum and there's a scene where Jennifer Jason Leigh is playing it.
    In the script Kurt Russell takes it off her and smashes it off the wall, which he did...unaware it wasn't a prop replica and was actually the real thing.
    Apparently He never got the word that the scene would be cut and the "invaluable historical artifact" was to be replaced by a replica!

You can tell by her scream and look of horror on Jennifer Jason Leigh's face (She ALMOST breaks character) that her reaction is genuine.
    Heard the story before I saw the film and was watching out for it.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 12-04-2016 at 11:47.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

+ Reply to Thread