+ Reply to Thread
Page 307 of 1487 FirstFirst ... 2072572973053063073083093173574078071307 ... LastLast
Results 3,061 to 3,070 of 14864

Thread: Now Screening - What Are You Watching Right Now?

I'm Neil.

Monsters - Dark Continent (Blu Ray)

Confused . com. Sometime in the near future a satellite crashes to earth spreading infecting crap across the earth. South America and parts of the far East are infected and mankind is losing the battle against an alien eco system and its various sizes of life.

The first film was about a young couple crossing the IZ in South America and this film was widely hailed as being a major achievement as most of the non cg footage was shot live in a gonzo way.

Film two, this one is a lost confused puppy of a film, is it war against Monsters ? Or a film about America's war on Is or the like. It doesn't really work either way and frankly is a lost opportunity . If there is a third film I hope it finds away to be more focussed.

In away I feel like I just pissed £13 down the drain - sigh.

Regards Neil

I'm Martin.

That's why I wait for them to come on the telly nowadays - too many modern films are a total waste of time. Thrillers that are not thrilling, comedies that are not funny, remakes that remake the original by leaving out all of the things that made it good.

Having said that I enjoyed the first 'Monsters' - it was cleverly done and even though you knew it ultimately was not going to go anywhere, you didn't really mind.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Martin.

Watched that 'Cradel to Grave' thing last night - it's basically a rip off of 'The Wonder Years' but set in 1970's Britain with Peter Kay playing the dad. Better than I expected, actually laugh out loud funny in places, not often you get that these days. I will tune in again next week.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    That's why I wait for them to come on the telly nowadays - too many modern films are a total waste of time. Thrillers that are not thrilling, comedies that are not funny, remakes that remake the original by leaving out all of the things that made it good.

Having said that I enjoyed the first 'Monsters' - it was cleverly done and even though you knew it ultimately was not going to go anywhere, you didn't really mind.
    I normally do too or when there are 3 for a tenner deals but I took a punt wrong call.

Regards Neil

I'm joe.

Recently watched two excellent film noirs: 'Where The Sidewalk Ends', starring Dana Andrews and Gene Tierney (Dana's a bloke and Gene's a woman, confusingly) and 'Whirlpool' starring Tierney and Jose Ferrer. Both were made around 1950, and both were directed by Otto Preminger, with screenplays by Ben Hecht.

I'm Martin.

Isn't Dana Andrews the lead in 'Night Of The Demon' ? I love that film.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Isn't Dana Andrews the lead in 'Night Of The Demon' ? I love that film.
    He did and it was/ is a great film. not seen it for years though. one day I will find it in a box set.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

It was a long wait for it to come out on DVD. I had a pre-order on Amazon for years. Literally. Especially as they never show it on TV.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    He did and it was/ is a great film. not seen it for years though. one day I will find it in a box set.
    Definitely worth the £7.50 Amazon are charging for it at the moment & you get the American edit 'Curse of the Demon' on the same DVD

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Classic of its time! Got a DVD copy.

And of nearly all the other films that left an impression on me. The only two I've not been able to find in R2 are Jesse Stone 'The Benefit of The Doubt'. Cracking atmospheric made for TV crime movie. And Jerry and Tom, superb yank mobster film, very rare.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread