+ Reply to Thread
Page 1445 of 1487 FirstFirst ... 445945134513951435144314441445144614471455 ... LastLast
Results 14,441 to 14,450 of 14864

Thread: Now Screening - What Are You Watching Right Now?

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Oppenheimer, 2023.. bluray..

In order for the Black & White sections of the movie to be shot in the same quality as the rest of the film, Kodak produced a limited supply of their Double-X black and white film stock in 70mm. This film stock was chosen specifically for its heritage - it was originally sold to photographers as Super-XX during World War II, and was very popular with photojournalists of the era.

The Trinity detonation scene uses a combination of practical effects and digital compositing. Multiple explosions were performed practically, with a hybrid of gasoline, propane, aluminium and magnesium substances involving big miniatures. These were filmed at high speeds from multiple angles, and then layered using digital effects to create the iconic "mushroom cloud".

Matt Damon was on a break from acting as a promise to his wife, with one condition: it would go on hold if Christopher Nolan called. As luck would have it, Nolan offered Damon the role of Leslie Groves, and the break went on hold.

Physicist Enrico Fermi arrives to watch the Trinity test towards the end of the film. Fermi is famous among other things for the Fermi Paradox, a thought experiment which questions why humans have never observed evidence of intelligent life elsewhere in the universe. One possible reason for this is that any sufficiently intelligent species may inevitably wipe itself out through self-destructive behaviour. The creation of nuclear weapons, especially when Edward Teller and other physicists feared the fission bomb they were building might incinerate the planet, was one such "Great Filter" moment in human history.
    what did you think of it? Reviews seem to be very mixed.

I'm not keen on Nolan's films in general, this is probably one where I'll wait until it comes on the telly.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post

I'm not keen on Nolan's films in general, this is probably one where I'll wait until it comes on the telly.
    still watching it martin.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post

its not one of his better ones i think although ive not seen all of his. its a bit like my daughter coming in and telling me a story of something she was a bit annoyed about and it is long and fast and you end up not really being any the wiser...
    second half is a bit better but i think he tries to tell too many stories in one 3 hr slot, which tbh was a pretty tedious 3 hrs most of time.
    was it about oppie?, was it about trinity?, was it about the crazy us govt types who hound him? who knows but thank god emily was in it; not a big role alas but it might have saved film if she had had a bigger role.

5/10 for some of the decent bits.
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

its a bit like my daughter coming in and telling me a story of something she was a bit annoyed about and it is long and fast and you end up not really being any the wiser...
    lol - best film review ever.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Martin.

its not one of his better ones i think although ive not seen all of his.
    Let's see what he's done and what I've seen

1998 Following Not seen it.

2000 Memento Not seen it.

2002 Insomnia Not seen it.

2005 Batman Begins - started watching it, couldn't get more than ten minutes in. If it's not Adam West, it's not Batman. (Although the Lego one is worth a watch. But that's not one of Nolan's).

2006 The Prestige - not seen it EDIT - reading the description I realise I have seen it. It's crap.

2008 The Dark Knight - more faux Batman shite. Not seen it but I don't have to.

2010 Inception - seen it, couldn't follow it as the dialogue is all muffled. Seemed to be a lot about nothing.

2012 The Dark Knight Rises - more faux Batman shite. Not seen it but I don't have to.

2013 Man of Steel - something to do with Superman so automatic fail. Now if it was about Stalin I might have bothered.

2014 Interstellar - that wasn't too bad. I might even watch it again. But I am a sucker for sci fi and, lets be clear, it's nothing like as good as 'Star Trek II - The Wrath Of Khan.'

2017 Dunkirk - looks like a 1980s BBC co-production made on Clacton Sands with three blokes, a dog and a budget of two hundred quid. But actually cost a hundred million dollars. A terrible film with no redeeming features.

2020 Tenet - Not seen it

2023 Oppenheimer - Not seen it
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Grant.

on that list i guess interstellar and rises are the picks for me. not seen some and probably never will.

i preferred fat man and little boy version with newman in it to oppie
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

The Beiderbecke Connection, 1988...

one of the great series of nonsense... marvelleous stuff
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm openingabottleofwine.

its not one of his better ones i think although ive not seen all of his. its a bit like my daughter coming in and telling me a story of something she was a bit annoyed about and it is long and fast and you end up not really being any the wiser...
    second half is a bit better but i think he tries to tell too many stories in one 3 hr slot, which tbh was a pretty tedious 3 hrs most of time.
    was it about oppie?, was it about trinity?, was it about the crazy us govt types who hound him? who knows but thank god emily was in it; not a big role alas but it might have saved film if she had had a bigger role.

5/10 for some of the decent bits.
    I would like see the film, but three hours is a long time. I was quite impressed with the '80s serial starring Sam Waterston as Oppenheimer, shown on BBC.
    Barry

I'm Grant.

some more pirates and AT WORLD'S END
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Longitude, 2000...

Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread