+ Reply to Thread
Page 1444 of 1487 FirstFirst ... 444944134413941434144214431444144514461454 ... LastLast
Results 14,431 to 14,440 of 14864

Thread: Now Screening - What Are You Watching Right Now?

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    thought king of thieves was better
    Me too but that's not great either. And it cost ten times as much to make.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

The Cruel Sea, 1953..

The most successful film at the UK box office in 1953, as well as a surprise hit in the US. The film's huge success confirmed Jack Hawkins as an international star at the age of 42.

Prominent WWII historian and author James Holland says this was 'the most accurate war movie I've ever seen'.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Invasion of the Body Snatchers, 1978...

The man asking for help is Kevin McCarthy, the star of the 1956 adaptation Invasion of the Body Snatchers

During the taxi ride, Donald Sutherland and Brooke Adams's nervousness is genuine. Don Siegel had lost much of his vision and was driving through the dark streets of San Francisco without his glasses.

Harry the homeless banjo guy's banjo playing was performed by Grateful Dead frontman Jerry Garcia. The song being played (and sung) is the traditional "Going Down the Road Feeling Bad," which was a regular tune played by The Dead in live performances, and appears on several live albums.
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Just watched David Lynch's 'Twin Peaks, Fire Walk With Me' 1992, with Kyle McLachlan. Not seen it before, pretty weird and surreal, as you'd expect from Lynch. Kept me interested though.

It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Just watched David Lynch's 'Twin Peaks, Fire Walk With Me' 1992, with Kyle McLachlan. Not seen it before, pretty weird and surreal, as you'd expect from Lynch. Kept me interested though.

yeah its weird
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Star Trek TOS - 'Amok Time'

Stand-out episode where Spock goes on heat and has to go back to Vulcan and fight Kirk to the death.

No-ones making telly like this anymore. When was the last time someone made a TV show so classic that bands got named after some of the characters?

Edit okay The Simpsons. But name another!
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Just watched 'The Parallax View' 1974, with Warren Beatty. A conspiracy movie (you're not paranoid if they're really out to get you).

It's dated, illogical, jumbled and not well directed. Still worth a watch though!

free photo uploading websites
    Agree on all counts.
    Barry

I'm Grant.

Mr. Denning Drives North, 1952.

Instead of credits appearing on screen at the beginning of the film, a narrator announces the film's title, and then reads out the list of actors' names.

The New York Times wrote: "this little melodrama serves as still another reminder, from a country that jolly well knows how to exercise it, that restraint can work minor wonders [...] Persuasive and tingling, minus one false note [...] No doubt about it. The British have what it takes."

Variety reviewed the film in 1951 calling it "unconvincing and involved" where the direction was "completely inadequate. "Two years later the magazine reviewed it more favorably calling it "tense and skillfully developed."

The Washington Post thought the Rolls-Royce "made more sense than any of the alleged human characters [...] a bit pretentious."

This was Mills first film for two years after taking a rest. his career stalled a bit until he did Hobsons Choice.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

The Ghost Goes West, 1935..

This was the biggest-grossing film of 1936 in Great Britain.

This film has a 100% rating based on 8 critic reviews on Rotten Tomatoes.

René Clair's first English film was screened during a gala evening attended by Queen Mary.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Oppenheimer, 2023.. bluray..

In order for the Black & White sections of the movie to be shot in the same quality as the rest of the film, Kodak produced a limited supply of their Double-X black and white film stock in 70mm. This film stock was chosen specifically for its heritage - it was originally sold to photographers as Super-XX during World War II, and was very popular with photojournalists of the era.

The Trinity detonation scene uses a combination of practical effects and digital compositing. Multiple explosions were performed practically, with a hybrid of gasoline, propane, aluminium and magnesium substances involving big miniatures. These were filmed at high speeds from multiple angles, and then layered using digital effects to create the iconic "mushroom cloud".

Matt Damon was on a break from acting as a promise to his wife, with one condition: it would go on hold if Christopher Nolan called. As luck would have it, Nolan offered Damon the role of Leslie Groves, and the break went on hold.

Physicist Enrico Fermi arrives to watch the Trinity test towards the end of the film. Fermi is famous among other things for the Fermi Paradox, a thought experiment which questions why humans have never observed evidence of intelligent life elsewhere in the universe. One possible reason for this is that any sufficiently intelligent species may inevitably wipe itself out through self-destructive behaviour. The creation of nuclear weapons, especially when Edward Teller and other physicists feared the fission bomb they were building might incinerate the planet, was one such "Great Filter" moment in human history.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread