+ Reply to Thread
Page 1398 of 1487 FirstFirst ... 3988981298134813881396139713981399140014081448 ... LastLast
Results 13,971 to 13,980 of 14869

Thread: Now Screening - What Are You Watching Right Now?

I'm Martin.

'King Of The Khyber Rifles' (1953)

Tyrone Power graduates Sandhurst and is sent to the North-West frontier of India, seemingly just before the Mutiny.

First ever film to be made in Technicolour Cinemascope so the production values are good and California makes a surprisingly convincing Afghanistan.

Otherwise though this film has a lot of problems. It moves along more slowly than the M25 in rush hour. The American actors don't bother to disguise their accents and from a historical angle nothing is right. The uniforms seem to be made up from whatever they had lying around and bear no resemblance to any British or East India Company uniform of any period. Tribesmen are seen reloading their muskets at the breach and the problem of the Mutiny setting is that the Khyber Rifle Regiment that Power leads wasn't even formed for another 20 odd years.

Rubbish, really. I won't go so far as to give it a 'Don't Bother' rating but you would have to be desperate.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post

'King Of The Khyber Rifles' (1953)

Tyrone Power graduates Sandhurst and is sent to the North-West frontier of India, seemingly just before the Mutiny.

First ever film to be made in Technicolour Cinemascope so the production values are good and California makes a surprisingly convincing Afghanistan.

Otherwise though this film has a lot of problems. It moves along more slowly than the M25 in rush hour. The American actors don't bother to disguise their accents and from a historical angle nothing is right. The uniforms seem to be made up from whatever they had lying around and bear no resemblance to any British or East India Company uniform of any period. Tribesmen are seen reloading their muskets at the breach and the problem of the Mutiny setting is that the Khyber Rifle Regiment that Power leads wasn't even formed for another 20 odd years.

Rubbish, really. I won't go so far as to give it a 'Don't Bother' rating but you would have to be desperate.
    obviously you were ner
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    obviously you were ner
    I watch them so you don't have to.

Sometimes a good one comes up, you never know. There's a lot if good, old films that are pretty much forgotten by the mainstream. And a lot which were average but are now good compared to today's rubbish.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Grant.

Seraphim Falls, 2006..

In Jewish and Christian theology, a seraphim is a type of angel. One could conclude the two main characters are angels that have fallen from grace. They battle each other from the mountain tops (Heaven) to the hot desert (Hell).

Liam Neeson and Pierce Brosnan said they had the most fun in their career making this film. They loved westerns as kids, and were thrilled to finally to be in one.

Xander Berkeley is an American who plays an Irishman. Liam Neeson and Pierce Brosnan are Irishmen who play Americans. Anjelica Huston lived in Ireland for a lot of her youth, and holds Irish citizenship.
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Steve.

That's Leam Neeson trying to look tough, but to me he looks like he's just detected a fart.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    That's Leam Neeson trying to look tough, but to me he looks like he's just detected a fart.
    aye and not one of his
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

The Passenger , 1975...

Wanting to protect a piece of art that he loved, Jack Nicholson bought the rights to the film shortly after its release, and kept it out of circulation for many years. In 2003, he entered into negotiations with Sony to re-release the film.

When Michelangelo Antonioni received his honorary Oscar in 1995, the Academy asked Jack Nicholson to present it to him.

According to director Bernardo Bertolucci: "Michelangelo Antonioni, a great director, had to wait six years after 'The Passenger' to find the money to do a movie. Someone like Antonioni shouldn't be unemployed for six years."

• The Girl: Isn't it funny how things happen? All the shapes we make. Wouldn't it be terrible to be blind?
    • David Locke: I know a man who was blind. When he was nearly 40 years old, he had an operation and regained his sight.
    • The Girl: How was it like?
    • David Locke: At first he was elated... really high. Faces... colors... landscapes. But then everything began to change. The world was much poorer than he imagined. No one had ever told him how much dirt there was. How much ugliness. He noticed ugliness everywhere. When he was blind... he used to cross the street alone with a stick. After he regained his sight... he became afraid. He began to live in darkness. He never left his room. After three years he killed himself.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

never seen it but it sounds like a light-hearted romp.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Mention of Maria Schneider reminds me of the film 'Last Tango in Paris'.
    Barry

I'm Martin.

'The Onion Field' (1979)

James Woods is a slightly crazy stick-up man making a living by robbing liquor stores. He gets a new partner and things start to go wrong.

Starts strongly but you do need a bit of stamina as it's quite long and does trail off a bit in the last third. But it's a proper film, and James Woods is always good.

Worth a watch.
    Current Lash Up:

+ Reply to Thread