+ Reply to Thread
Page 1386 of 1486 FirstFirst ... 3868861286133613761384138513861387138813961436 ... LastLast
Results 13,851 to 13,860 of 14855

Thread: Now Screening - What Are You Watching Right Now?

I'm Grant.

Living, 2022.. excellent remake of IRIKU from 1952.

Last edited by struth; 03-07-2023 at 16:20.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

a bit close to home that. superb acting, script etc... a must watch.

now, something lighter....

Young Frankenstein, 1974..

A critical and commercial success, Young Frankenstein ranks No. 28 on Total Film magazine's readers' "List of the 50 Greatest Comedy Films of All Time"

Igor's line "walk this way" in the film inspired the song of the same name by Aerosmith.[35] According to Gene Wilder, the joke was added while shooting the scene by Mel Brooks, inspired by the old "talcum powder" joke.[36] A partially contradictory account appears in eyE Marty, Feldman's posthumously published autobiography: Feldman recalls spontaneously doing the "walk this way" shtick to make his colleagues laugh, with Brooks then insisting, despite Wilder's and Feldman's reservations, that it stay in the film. So, who knows.. both are great stories.
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

My Favorite Blonde, 1942.. kino lorber bluray..

Although filmed during World War II, with a plot about a race to the death against Nazi spies, the words "Nazi" and "Germany" are never spoken in the movie. Bob Hope does come close when he calls the villains "nasties" in the climax, "nasty" being a vocal anagram of Nazi.

On Rotten Tomatoes, the film has an aggregate score of 100% based on 7 critic reviews.

This was the first of a trio 'My Favorites' films...

BOB HOPE, A QUICK BIOGRAPHY...

HE was not really a singer, but he introduced a handful of standards in a pitch-perfect voice. He was not really a dancer, but held his own as a hoofer with Cagney and Baryshnikov.
    He was never nominated for his acting, but presided over more Oscar ceremonies than anyone and was among the top box office draws of his day. He never had a regular television series, but his specials were smash ratings hits, and the creators of ''M*A*S*H'' and ''Gilligan's Island'' cut their teeth as his radio writers. He lent jokes to Franklin D. Roosevelt, played golf with Bill Clinton and entertained the troops in every American war, from Pearl Harbor to the Persian Gulf.
    He was born in London the year that the Wright Brothers first flew at Kitty Hawk.... He also lived to over 100 years old, and during most of it he was a womanizer.. amazing guy.
    Last edited by struth; 04-07-2023 at 16:25.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Foreign Correspondent, 1940... Criterion bluray..

Producer Walter Wanger bought the rights to journalist Vincent Sheean's memoir Personal History in 1935, but after several adaptations proved unsatisfactory, Wanger allowed the story to stray significantly from the book. It took numerous writers and five years before Wanger had a script he was satisfied with, by which time Hitchcock was in the United States under contract with David O. Selznick and available to direct this film on a loan-out. Hitchcock, who did not enjoy working under the usual close scrutiny of Selznick, originally wanted Gary Cooper and Joan Fontaine for the lead roles, but Cooper was not interested in doing a thriller at the time, and Selznick would not loan out Fontaine. Later, Cooper admitted to Hitchcock that he had made a mistake in turning down the film. The $1.5m budget was very high for time and although very popular it just failed to cover itself at box office.

Foreign Correspondent opened on August 16, 1940, in the United States and on October 11 of that year in the United Kingdom. The film, which ends with London being bombed, opened in the United States at the dawn of the Battle of Britain, just three days after the Luftwaffe began bombing British coastal airfields in the early Adlerangriff phase of the Battle of Britain, and a week before Germany began bombing London on August 24.

After the film wrapped, Hitchcock visited his native England, and returned to Los Angeles on July 3, to report that the Germans were expected to begin bombing London at any time. To accommodate this, Ben Hecht was called in to write the epilogue of the film, the scene in the radio station, which replaced the original end sequence in which two of the characters discussed the events of the film on a transatlantic seaplane trip. The new ending was filmed on July 5, presciently foreshadowing the celebrated radio broadcasts of Edward R. Murrow.

In a 1972 interview on
    The Dick Cavett Show (1968), Alfred Hitchcock revealed that the plane crash scene was filmed by using footage shot from a stunt plane diving on the ocean, rear projected on rice paper in front of a cockpit set. Also, behind the rice paper were two chutes aimed at the cockpit's windshield connected to large tanks of water. With the press of a button at the right moment, water came crashing through the rice paper, into the plane simulating the plane crashing into the sea from the cockpit view.
    Last edited by struth; 04-07-2023 at 12:03.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Rear Window, 1954...

Time called it "just possibly the second-most entertaining picture (after The 39 Steps) ever made by Alfred Hitchcock" and a film in which there is "never an instant ... when Director Hitchcock is not in minute and masterly control of his material."(although i did read that Jimmy Stewart was even more picky and 'loud' than Hitch when he didn't like something like the lighting etc)

The film negative was damaged considerably as a result of color dye fading as early as the 1960s. Nearly all of the yellow image dyes had faded. Despite fears that the film had been irrevocably damaged, preservation experts were able to restore the film nearly to its original coloration.

According to Georgine Darcy, the man and woman on the fire escape struggling to get out of the rain was based on a prank by Sir Alfred Hitchcock. Each actor and actress in the apartment complex facing Jeff's rear window wore an earpiece through which they could receive Hitchcock's directions. Hitchcock told the man to pull the mattress in one direction and told the woman to pull in the opposite direction. Unaware that they had received conflicting directions, the couple began to fight and struggle to get the mattress inside once the crew began filming. The resulting mayhem, in which one of the couple is tossed inside the window with the mattress, provided humor and a sense of authenticity, which Hitchcock liked. He was so pleased with the result that he did not order another take.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

The Password Is Courage, 1962.. loosely based on the even looser book..lol...although he did apparently get a medal etc.

Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

The Mouse on the Moon, 1963... the sequel to The Mouse That Roared. It is an adaptation of the 1962 novel The Mouse on the Moon by Irish author Leonard Wibberley...

The film was made on sets left over from Cornel Wilde's film Sword of Lancelot. Peter Sellers recommended Dick Lester, whom he knew from his direction of The Running, Jumping and Standing Still Film. Producer Walter Shenson and director Lester next made The Beatles film A Hard Day's Night.

The American premier was held at Cape Canaveral, Florida, where cast members mingled with NASA astronauts. Can only wonder what they thought of it lol...

Great cast tho here and just about holds it on course.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

RED, 2010.. JUST COZ ITS FUN

Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Camera enthuiasts still speculate about the make and focal length of the lens fitted to Jimmy Stewart's camera.
    Barry

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Camera enthuiasts still speculate about the make and focal length of the lens fitted to Jimmy Stewart's camera.
    supposed to have been a Kilfitt Fern-Kilar 400mm lens.

https://pixelcraft.photo.blog/2020/1...s-rear-window/
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread