+ Reply to Thread
Page 445 of 1486 FirstFirst ... 3453954354434444454464474554955459451445 ... LastLast
Results 4,441 to 4,450 of 14855

Thread: Now Screening - What Are You Watching Right Now?

I'm Grant.

Still think its marvellous .. the extras as to how its made is equally fascinating
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Jo.

Default Zatoichi The Blind Swordsman, 1962-1973.

91apU327pzL._SL1500_.jpg

A series of 25 films released by Criterion in a dual-format box set that I have long wanted to watch but owing to the expense of the set it has taken time to set aside the money.

A middle-brow Japanese action series based on the tale of the blind masseur who beneath his bumbling accident-prone facade is master of swordsmanship, sumo wrestling, and archery. Unlike his opponents he favours a cane sword rather than the usual katana. The films are largely formulaic and usually involve the principal character Zatoichi [played to perfection by Shinataro Katsu] agreeing to carry out the last wish of a dying man or woman which inevitably ends up embroiling him in trouble with corrupt officials, cruel magistrates, and oppressive yakuza bosses and their henchmen. Despite his blindness, low social status, stocky build, and appalling table manners he is a hit with the ladies everywhere he goes. An eternal wanderer and outcast, sentimental, but also capable of visiting devastating violence on those who take him on . A sort of Zen Robin Hood righting wrongs in favour of the poor and oppressed. On his travels he teams up with some famous figures from Japanese and Asian cinema such as Yojimbo and The One Armed Swordsman. The earlier films are fairly humerous and light, but as the series progresses the features become somewhat darker in tone. Overall great fun.
    Last edited by Landloper; 20-03-2017 at 19:08. Reason: spelling

I'm Grant.

Just finished 12 Angry Men (1957) . superb film, with a stellar cast. Forgot how powerful the acting was . not seen it for quite a few years or it felt that way.

Lee J Cobb was really superb in it
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Landloper View Post
    91apU327pzL._SL1500_.jpg

A series of 25 films released by Criterion in a dual-format box set that I have long wanted to watch but owing to the expense of the set it has taken time to set aside the money.

A middle-brow Japanese action series based on the tale of the blind masseur who beneath his bumbling accident-prone facade is master of swordsmanship, sumo wrestling, and archery. Unlike his opponents he favours a cane sword rather than the usual katana. The films are largely formulaic and usually involve the principal character Zatoichi [played to perfection by Shinataro Katsu] agreeing to carry out the last wish of a dying man or woman which inevitably ends up embroiling him in trouble with corrupt officials, cruel magistrates, and oppressive yakuza bosses and their henchmen. Despite his blindness, low social status, stocky build, and appalling table manners he is a hit with the ladies everywhere he goes. An eternal wanderer and outcast, sentimental, but also capable of visiting devastating violence on those who take him on . A sort of Zen Robin Hood righting wrongs in favour of the poor and oppressed. On his travels he teams up with some famous figures from Japanese and Asian cinema such as Yojimbo and The One Armed Swordsman. The earlier films are fairly humerous and light, but as the series progresses the features become somewhat darker in tone. Overall great fun.
    That does sound really good. A lot of Japanese stuff is hard to appreciate unless you get their weird sense of humour. I guess they probably say that about the British.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

Predator (1987) stars Arnold Schwarzeneggar, Jesse Ventura and Carl Weathers. Directed by John McTiernan, this is a testosterone induced and very good SiFi film..Plenty action, and not much dialogue

Jesse Ventura said that firing the Minigun is "like shooting a chainsaw."
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Landloper View Post
    That has been in my DVD collection for some years. Good movie.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

good start to evening; now for an older naval battle... Battle of the River Plate (1956) stars John Gregson, Anthony Quayle and Peter Finch, and directed by that immense team of Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger.

The chase, and battle by the Royal Navy and the German pocket battleship Admiral Graf Spee.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

I say. Stiff upper lip and all that old chap!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

indeed.. all very proper with the navvies ..oops I mean navys Another from one of my digital libraries...this one from Amazon... the other was Apple. I also have quite a few with Flixster as dig versions of dvds, mostly from my sons collection. Along with my dvd collection I can usually find something to watch
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Keeping up my western bent, Its The War Wagon (1967) stars John Wayne, Howard Keel, Robert Walker, Jr., Keenan Wynn, Joanna Barnes and Bruce Dern.

Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread