+ Reply to Thread
Page 318 of 1487 FirstFirst ... 2182683083163173183193203283684188181318 ... LastLast
Results 3,171 to 3,180 of 14864

Thread: Now Screening - What Are You Watching Right Now?

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    That's great fun Grant. So many good comedies back then. Private's Progress was a fav!
    Thats another good one. Lots of good un as you say around then, and lots of very good actors, most of whom only managed sidekick status and today may well have done much better.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

From back then, probably Alec Guiness, Terry Thomas, Alastair Sim and Peter Sellers were my favourites. They turned out some brilliant movies.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Neil.

The Black Arrow - 1948

Swashbuckling knights in armour tale of murder, betrayal and greed. Great fun if you like such stuff, and I do.

Regards Neil

I'm Grant.

Alfie (1966). Lewis Gilbert's fabulous take on a womaniser, starring Michael Caine, Shelley Winters, Millicent Martin, Jane Asher, Shirley Ann Field, Elenor Bron and Denholm Elliot. It was remade quite successfully with Jude Law in the starring role, but this, to me is far superior thanks to the natural cockney style of "my name is Michael Caine".
    Great score too, by Sonny Rollins, with the Bacharach/David hit, "whats it all about" sung her by our Cilla. the US release had the Cher version(peasants)

Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Alfie (1966)
    Very much 'of its time'. Good though.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

Red Dwarf series 7 (1996) via Amazon prime

Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

'Cradle to Grave' - based on Danny Baker's autobiography this has been a really good series - shows the BBC can still do quality stuff when they really try...

Unlike 'Harvest 2015'. You have to presume they were stuck for something to fill this slot what with people getting bored with Bill Oddie and jackdaws eating their young.

Apparantly their choice was either this or 'Paint Drying 2015'.

Farming may be an interesting subject, I don't know. But watching people get over-excited about the news that Bill in Norfolk has had a bumper barley harvest? No.

Finally, 'The Apprentice'. I wouldn't normally touch a reality show with a bargepole but I always watch this, even though it is the same every year. There is something about business that really brings out the worst in people.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

The ITV multi series if Sherlock Holmes. All 41 episodes I think. Just watched scandal in bohemia. Started in 1984 and ended in 1994 when Brett was seriously ill with bi polar and an enlarged heart of which in fact killed him the next year.

The quintessential Holmes and always a pleasure to re watch the box set.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Rich.

Mrs B and I watched this one last night.

A genuinely unnerving film with a few decent jump off the sofa moments in it too.

Nice choice for Halloween if you've not seen it.
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm Martin.

Rich you have to tell us what the name of the film is, otherwise it is a bit of a guessing game

I've been watching 'JFK-A New Perspective'. Very long 4 part documentary on PBS America. Great footage, a lot of it obscure, and an intelligent commentary too. Refreshing to watch something that is not dumbed down or padded out. I never knew but apparantly he had Addison's Disease so had to take steroids, which were destroying his spine. So he was in constant pain and had to be shot up with painkillers and amphetemines several times a day.

Also he did a secret deal with Kruschev over the Cuban Missile Crisis. He agreed to withdraw US nukes from Turkey if K stopped his plan to base nukes in Cuba.. Part of the deal was K would keep his mouth shut about it so it looked like JFK had gone 'eyeball to eyeball' and won. K complied and JFK acheived god-like status as a consequence.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread