+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tv audio needs improving.

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Aye, i know what you are saying I need to integrate mine at 30 or 27Hz & the damn internal crossover says no.....
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid Malenfant View Post
    Aye, i know what you are saying I need to integrate mine at 30 or 27Hz & the damn internal crossover says no.....
    Do you have yours in or out of phase Mark ? I suppose it depends on the room shape and angle...
    Cheers, Will

My sub is out of phase due to the coupled cavity (4th order bandpass) bass speakers that go down to about 30Hz They have a natural phase shift of 180 degrees over the passband...
    Bests, Mark

I'm Will.

My sub is out of phase due to the coupled cavity (4th order bandpass) bass speakers that go down to about 30Hz They have a natural phase shift of 180 degrees over the passband...
    Wibble...

That'll teach me for asking

Ashes time...
    Cheers, Will

Yeah i know it's a bitch but at least i can understand it Took me years though & i'm still learning after looking at everything today

Now i understand the phase shift problems it's not too difficult to get things in phase for me... Unless you understand filter theory or should i say all pass phase shift theory you just can't make the stuff. As far as i know there really isn't commercial stuff out there due to lack of demand

Or maybe i ought to say that people tend not to know what they actually need so it's not made?
    Bests, Mark

I'm Will.

Yeah i know it's a bitch but at least i can understand it Took me years though & i'm still learning after looking at everything today

Now i understand the phase shift problems it's not too difficult to get things in phase for me... Unless you understand filter theory or should i say all pass phase shift theory you just can't make the stuff. As far as i know there really isn't commercial stuff out there due to lack of demand

Or maybe i ought to say that people tend not to know what they actually need so it's not made?
    My problem is a little more simplistic, I have a switch on the sub-woofer that states 'In' or 'Out' of phase...it's only 50/50
    Cheers, Will

I'm colin.

Ah , here it is.
    Im not sure if im ready to go 5.1 what with room and everything.
    Going back to a stand alone DAC, do you think that could improve speech clarity or is it the center speaker that would really do the trick?

At the moment i'm only running a two speaker setup for AV (long story), in all honesty i think you be quite happy with a two channel setup I'd go the cheap route (probably smaller as well if you are running out of room) & try a seperate DAC.

Centre channels are only really effective when you are listening to material (on a DVD or blu ray) that already has the centre channel encoded on the disc. Dolby Digital would give you a psuedo centre channel which probably won't increase the clarity imo..
    Bests, Mark

I'm Dave.

Personally I wouldn't bother with AV amps, subs, centre speakers etc etc just to watch TV. Most broadcasts are still only stereo, so you won't get much use out of a centre speaker or rears. I think the weak link in your system is the digi box and the fact that you connect it via analogue to your amp. All digi boxes will have bad analogue outputs with cheap output stages, their DAC's will also be really cheap and nasty. By far the simplest option would be to take a digital connection from your digi box (if it has one, buy a new one if not) and connect this to the best DAC you can afford, if you don't have one already. Then connect the DAC to your existing amp. I'm sure that will clear up the whole frequency range a great deal and thus improve your enjoyment.

This is basically the setup I have for watching TV and it's crystal clear sound, especially on the HD channels. I never bother with my 5.1 system for TV. That only gets used with my Xbox 360 and BluRay player.
    Source: Apple TV 4K - DAC: Beresford Bushmaster Mk II - Preamp: CI AudioPLC-1 Mk II - Power Amps: Musical Fidelity 550K mono blocks - Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 3 - Cables: Mark Grant etc - Misc: Belkin PF30 mains filters.

I'm colin.

Thanks , i understand know.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast