+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 6 Years of Trial, Error and Pulling Hair Out!

I'm Paul.

I have now got a new Slate Plinth for my Garrard and have finally got the old laptop working as a music server with a 1TB external hard drive.

The old wooden plinth has been sold to another member and hopefully we will see some pics with his Lenco mounted in it soon. I was expecting it to be done already

The pics aren't great I'm afraid and the plinth needs someting underneith to hide the ugly gubbings.
    ~Paul~

I'm ILOB.

The 401 looks great nice to see the modern mixed with the old
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Paul.

If Rob's Digital Boy & Marco's Analogue Boy, can I be Analogue Digital Boy!!
    ~Paul~

stunning

I'm Paul.

I have just dug out my 2 old TT's. The red one is my old Project Debut. I used to have the Rega RB250 on this. Along with the glass platter that I used to clamp the record directly to and the project speedbox. It actually sounded very good. The tonearm on it is one I made and sounds pretty good to. I'm currently making the lift mech from 2 medicine syringes and once finished I might mount it on the garrard to see what happens.

The Dual is a DD and has a Systemdeck tonearm which is actually not bad apart from the armtube whih is very lightweight. This does not gel too well with the realitively heavy headshell and gimbal assembly. However a bit of extra weight in the tube and some dampening would proabaly sort this. The bearings are very good with no play or backlash. Probably the best bearings I have seen.

These are sadly collecting dust but is someone wants to give one a home they can make me a offer

Last edited by Primalsea; 10-12-2008 at 19:55.
    ~Paul~

I'm Nick.

Paul - I missed the pics of your slatedeck first time round... it looks great! Have you done anything since to hide the 'gubbins'? You could always just move the phono pre-amp somewhere else The rest of the gubbins would look cool imo. Functional aesthetic!

I could try and find some apt comparison to an obscure 80's pop band. "Moving in the Right Direction" as The Pasadenas might have said. Then again I might leave the 80's pop references to the experts
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm Paul.

I still have some of the oak that I used to make the base of the old plinth. I was planing on using that to hide the gubbings. Unfortunately with all that polished slate and chrome they do look a little out of place
    ~Paul~

I'm Nick.

You could try a few layers of matt MDF cut to fit between the two front feet. Not deep (wide, 1.5 cm thick and an inch deep, just enough to mask the front; you could do similar on the sides). You could end up with an affect at the front similar to the one in this thread (half way down) where the chap did a simple MDF plinth that had quite a slate look. Black matt car spray works well in my experience to give an even slate-ish look (I've used it on my car ) It could work for you.
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm Neil.

Default Hi Paul

I see on the bottom of your rack a Marantz cd 94 mk 1 or Mk 2 . You are a man of great taste. Now there is a CDP. Try replacing the bottom plate with a thicker one, this makes a huge difference as the thin plate it came with is not up to the same spec as the heavy duty box everything is in. I changed mine 15 years ago and wow, the improvement was worth the effort. I used a 3/4 inch aluminum plate,brush finished and with all the holes nicely countersunk.

Nice TT too.

Regards D S D L ----- Neil
    Last edited by Spectral Morn; 29-12-2008 at 09:54.

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by D Louth View Post
    I see on the bottom of your rack a Marantz cd 94 mk 1 or Mk 2 . You are a man of great taste. Now there is a CDP. Try replacing the bottom plate with a thicker one, this makes a huge difference as the thin plate it came with is not up to the same spec as the heavy duty box everything is in. I changed mine 15 years ago and wow, the improvement was worth the effort. I used a 3/4 inch aluminum plate,brush finished and with all the holes nicely countersunk.

Nice TT too.

Regards D Louth ----- Neil
    I have no idea what mark it is but you may retract what you say when you read the bit about me removing the DAC circuitry and turning it into a transport.
    ~Paul~

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast