+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 6 Years of Trial, Error and Pulling Hair Out!

I'm Paul.

Your best sticking to chopping boards made of beechwoods as they will suit your disposition.
    ~Paul~

I'm Nick.

Don't ply with me...

I'll get my coat
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm InSpace.

Paul,

When you removed the volume pot from the WD88 did you replace it with fixed resistors, or just wire the phono sockets directly onto the I/P board?

Cheers...
    Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

I'm Paul.

I just wired the phono sockets (1 pair) direct to the inputs of the amp's circuit.

If you want a little less gain you could put in a fixed attenuator but I never been satified with the resultant sound. Might be a better option to increase the feedback by increase the value of the feedback shunt resistors. If you do this you might want to give the amp a through test to make sure its stable.

I find I have way too much gain and might try increasing the feedback myself.
    ~Paul~

I'm InSpace.

Yeah, I kind of thought the sensitivity might be OTT if I just wire the sockets directly onto the I/P board.

Just doing a bit of chin rubbing over adding a pre and converting the '88' into a straight power amp. I've no need for two volume controls.

Cheers...
    Shian7

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

I'm Paul.

I can recommend the Pre3 which is what I have although there are many other good preamps out there. If you plan to go for a passive unit don't bother as this is what you already have inside the WD88, (unless its a transformer based passive).
    ~Paul~

I'm InSpace.

I'd like a Pre3 but the scratch build DIY bug has bitten hard.

I need an active pre though or I'll never get this 'ere Troughline up and running, thats why I'm going gog eyed through trolling t'internet for schematics n stuff. The '88' will be an organ donor with respect to it's relay board coz I like it! The volume pot, selector switch, and knobs will go into the pre also, hence the question earlier.

Cheers...
    Shian7

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

I'm Buffet-blower.

Very nice Paul - I'm a huge fan of the WAD/WD stuff and may end up owning some of their wares some time in the future (I'm currently borrowing a mate's KaT34 which sounds marvellous). I did once have a hot-rodded KEL84 which, into the AN speakers I had at the time, was possibly the most musically explicit amplifier I've ever owned - a truly wonderful little thing.

You mention Robert Sayle's - I'm presuming you're from Cambridge (or thereabouts?).
    Richard.

Round & round bits: LP12/Cirkus/Kore/Herc II/Roksan Nima/Hana EL
    Megabits: Bluesound Node 2i/TEAC UD-H01 dac
    Making it louder bits: Phonostage: Dynavector P75 Amp: Cyrus 8vs/PSX-R Speakers: Royd Sintra II
    Connecting it together bits i/c's: Flashback Premier. Speaker cables: Van Damme Hifi

I'm Paul.

Is it just me or do others not get email notifications about posts sometimes?? I only noticed these replies cos I happened to look at the AOS web site.

Mike, Many others will disagree with me but if you want a no gain active preamp you cant go too wrong with putting an opamp buffer either side of a volume pot. You can also go with Cathode Followers instead of opamps but have the agro of the extra complexity. However theres a fine line between ambition and stupidity with us DIY'ers (if I may say so myself) so of course the more complex option is the one to go for!!

Richard, yep I live near Cambridge but I didn't know Robert Sayle was a Cambridge company I throught they were everywhere. I also have a Kel84 which a friend is trying to see if he likes it. To be honest its a great amp and the WD88 while a super amp wasn't as big an upgrade as I thought it would be. It even drove my Martin Logans with their 1 ohm load at high freqs.
    ~Paul~

I'm InSpace.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalsea View Post
    Is it just me or do others not get email notifications about posts sometimes??
    I only get notifications if I 'subscribe' to the thread. But I can't remember the last time I did that so I've not noticed a problem TBH.
    Shian7

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast