+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm not going to exhibit at the September Heathrow Show

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

It might make complete sense, Howard, but quite a lot of it in my experience doesn't actually happen!

All of this makes complete sense to me, and should I hope make sense to everyone who attends audio exhibitions. Meanwhile, how might exhibition organisers get 'new blood' to visit?
    That's a difficult one, and it's not going to happen overnight. You have to get younger people, say, in the 20-35 year old bracket 'turned on' to high-end hi-fi instead of buying plastic systems from Tescos.

One thing I would do, and you mentioned advertising elsewhere, is for manufacturers and dealers to start advertising in music magazines such as UNCUT, etc, instead of in hi-fi magazines, because they have a massively higher, younger, target audience and if you can get those people interested in 'proper' hi-fi then you're half way to curing the problem.

Basically what needs to be done is to change the whole image of hi-fi shows from the ground up and make them less 'geeky'. I'm quite sure there are plenty of younger people who would attend but who avoid them like the plague because of their image. I've got friends who are into music, and quite into hi-fi (not like me, though) who think I'm mad going to these shows because they're full of sad old men walking around with carrier bags.

The whole outlook and experience of shows needs to be more up-to-date and designed to appeal to a younger audience, therefore advertising must be slicker and more creative by the organisers, and exhibitors must be more in tune with what younger people want. Hi-fi shows currently have too much of a stuffy, elitist image, and it is that which puts 'normal' people off attending.

To get younger people to go probably means introducing much more in the way of computer based audio and less traditional hi-fi. Crucially, I think there also needs to be more of a music orientated approach to shows, perhaps with some (good) live music being part of the event to encourage younger people to come, then people like you can try to get them into the hi-fi side of things when they visit your room and are blown away by the sound!

Trust me, young people like good sound, too. I have teenage relatives who come and visit regularly and are amazed by how good their CDs sound on my system. They also think that vinyl is cool, and thus so are turntables, so there would probably be a good opportunity to sell younger people a half decent turntable to play their 12" mixes on, providing they play at 45

I've got loads of ideas of what I would do if I was organising these events. In a relatively short space of time they could easily be successful and profitable to all parties concerned but for that to happen a gust of fresh air needs to blow away the dusty old cobwebs...

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Howard.

Default UNCUT - surely not?

Marco. Are you serious about UNCUT? I was led to believe that it was the official journal of SAC - the Society Against Circumcision. I have it seems been grievously mislead as I had concluded it had nothing to do with music.

---//---
    Well, hello.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

LOL. Very good!

Btw, your earlier point about Shadow Audio was hilarious (although unfortunate). I'll explain why later. Right now I need to do some work for a change.

Laters,
    Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

One thing I would do, and you mentioned advertising elsewhere, is for manufacturers and dealers to start advertising in music magazines such as UNCUT, etc, instead of in hi-fi magazines, because they have a massively higher, younger, target audience and if you can get those people interested in 'proper' hi-fi then you're half way to curing the problem.

I'd agree with this and would do it if I could afford to. The problem is that these magazines have far higher circulations than any of the HiFi mags and advertising rates are commensurately higher too. I'm surprised more of the larger manufacturers don't do it though. Perhaps even they take the view that a larger number of the readers of a low circulation HiFi mag (people who are obviously interested in hardware) might be swayed by their adverts than would the readers of a music magazine (who perhaps aren't so interested) It would also take a prolonged spell of such advertising for any manufacturers or retailers to really make an impression.

Patricia Barber, Howard? You deserved every decibel!

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by pure sound View Post
    Patricia Barber, Howard? You deserved every decibel!
    Having to listen to music like this is the exact reason I've stopped going to shows - it's wrong in every possible way. I've bene to 1 in 8 years and I don't plan going to another.

A shame as these things should appeal to people like me.

And thereīs me, really taking to Ms. Barberīs Night Club since replacing my Black Cube with my P10 and before I couldnīt stand it. Just shows, dunnit.

Cafe Blue is supposed to be a good test disc.

I'm Tony.

Keith,

Off to Top Milan as well then, see you there :-)
    Then back on the Thursday for setting up at Heathrow, going to be a very busy week!
    A lot of changes are planned for the Heathrow show, with a lot of creditable input coming from the exhibitors themselves, over the last 9 months or so a good deal of planning and ideas from the dealers/public/exhibitors have been aired and put into action for this coming show.
    It will be more of an event/entertainment for all, then just another 'Hifi show'. I would agree it would be nice to approach either Top Milan or Munich, however it can happen, though it will take a little time. Things are changing for the better, family entertainment/ inside industry events/ genuine competitions with quality prizes/ more reasonable pricing on food and drink / quite areas to chill out in, are all on the cards.
    It is starting to come together and will be worth the effort to attend.
    We are in the Garros room with a few brand new world class toys being debuted.
    Good debate this one
    Coherent Systems
    Real high end sound with musicality not hifi

I'm Howard.

"Having to listen to music like this is the exact reason I've stopped going to shows - it's wrong in every possible way"

Not quite clear where the word "having' comes into this? The exit was never more than a few steps way in my room. Anyway ......

Do I detect just a whiff of musical elitism here? I do hope not.

Those of you who attended my room at the show might recall that not only did I regularly invite members of the audience to let me play their own choice of music (some of the heavy duty quality Blue Note Jazz vinyl reissues were terrific) but also what tracks on my own CDs they’d like to hear.

Given that I had a number of repeat visitors and quite a few who told me that in total they’d spent at least one hour in my room, it is relevant to point out that by far the biggest number of requests was for ‘Bye Bye Blackbird’ by Patricia Barber off her ‘Nightclub’ CD.

As for me, I don’t believe I have the authority, arrogance nor temerity to insist that anyone and everyone must listen to only the pieces I want to play. It doesn't happen in my demos and it doesn’t happen at my room at exhibitions either.

---//---
    Last edited by Neil McCauley; 31-07-2008 at 17:36.
    Well, hello.

Just a thought but would car mags not be a good place to advertise as a high proportion of young drivers spend a fair bit on car hifi if the link was made between the quality of what was listened to in car compared to the house it may stir some interest

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast