+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm not going to exhibit at the September Heathrow Show

I'm Guy.

Munich is a european showcase/launch point for many of the larger German high end manufacturers. It is largely about export though. The smaller german manufacturers and certainly the distributors who sell within Germany can't afford to or see no benefit in taking part. They used to do Frankfurt but the cost of this is at another level. There is nothing like it here and sadly I don't think there could be now either. Munich serves well enough for Europe. However, the big show in Germany, albeit aimed less at audiophiles & more at general consumers of electronics is the IFA show in Berlin which is simply vast. Crowds gather outside on each of the mornings (it lasts about a week) as if attending a football match. This is where alot of the domestic trade in Germany gets done. Bargains to be had on the final day too as some of the far eastern exhibitors tear down their stands and almost give the stuff away rather than ship it back with them. Its not really about what we'd call serious audio though.

With regard to the UK show, I feel there has been some effective consultation between the organisers and exhibitors. Their marketing effort is improving. They also have a media partner in the form of HiFi World this year (arguably the 2nd best read audio magazine) Hopefully more people will be made aware of it & will come, whether there'll be enough to see is a moot point given the state of the market at the moment.

Howard raises a deeper issue about the relevance of high quality audio to people generally now. I don't think there's a lack of interest in listening to music. Arguably its being listened to more than ever. Its just that the way it is consumed has changed so dramatically. A generation has grown up listening to media players via headphones and perhaps haven't had the thrill that recreating an event taking place in your own room can give.

How any show can attract newcomers, and make the pursuit of good sound exciting continues to be a challenge. The larger manufacturers need to begin addressing it together and soon or their traditional market is going to shrivel to nothing over the next 10 years or so and they'll be fighting over a smaller & smaller cake.

Personally I don't think it can be done by offering ever more outrageously priced trinkets. Real value and truly tangible benefits need to be on offer. They seldom are. Sure, exotic and expensive items will continue to be sold in tiny quantities to those that can afford them but those that can't won't even be aspiring to own it.

It'll be interesting to hear what the participants in a forum need & want from a HiFi show but what'd be more interesting would be to see what might attract people who don't currently have that interest. What would really make them consider going?

I'll be doing this H'row show but it may be the last one I do there for a while. It really is hard to justify the expense. Its more effective to support dealer events.

I'm Keith.

Quote Originally Posted by Togil View Post
    Like these, Munich 2008
    I spent a lot of time at that stand! The small Cessaro's were being used in a little room on that stand with TLA amps from Athens, and as well as the girls you could get a cup of coffee and and a biscuit! 15k for the entire show, Munich makes the UK shows seem rather Mickey Mouse frankly.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Munich makes the UK shows seem rather Mickey Mouse frankly
    I would agree, Keith, and I intend to go one year soon. However, at those prices for exhibitors, the organisers are the ones taking the Mickey!!!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Keith.

Marco I agree it is a lot of cash, but there are no shortage of takers, the show had spread to two atriums this year, and there are cheaper rooms/ portakins to be had . Ralph ( Cessaro ) believes it money well spent he picked up four new distributors , took orders for 8 pairs of speakers including two Beta's and a Gamma which he is going to install this winter in Athens .http://www.cessaro-horn-acoustics.com/index_en.html

The stand was Silent Wire, quite a popular cable in Germany
    Hans

MBL 1531 -> Allnic L-4000 -> Audiolab 8000S used as power amp only -> Quad 2805. Cables: Transparent Ultra

I'm Keith.

Quite a new company aren't they?

Yes, I think MBL are using them now
    Hans

MBL 1531 -> Allnic L-4000 -> Audiolab 8000S used as power amp only -> Quad 2805. Cables: Transparent Ultra

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Default How to make shows better

Ok, some thoughts about how things could be improved at shows...

(None of this applies to you Howard because I don't think you're guilty of it)

Exhibitors

1) Don't play 'wanky' music - namely, audiophile 'tinkly-tinky' crap that no-one except total geeks listens to, or repetitive compilations of pop nonsense you've made up for the show.

2) When a punter asks you to play a CD, do so with a smile and show willingness instead of grudgingly, with a scowl, thinking to yourself: "Oh no, my uber-revealing audiophile pap which trashes anything other than pristinely recorded test discs is now going to get shown up by some 'real' music."

I'm exaggerating of course (well a bit!), but remember that people can only judge how good your system is with familiar music, so no matter how dreadful you think their music is, let them play it!

3) Take absolute care in setting up your system, showing the same fastidious attention to detail that discerning people attending the show are likely to do with their systems at home. That means neat and tidy cables, using proper hi-fi stands, not plonking your gear any old way on hotel bedroom furniture, and most importantly of all, employing the use of good quality mains leads and mains blocks which do something to address the awful mains supply in hotels.

If you're really good you'll use some kind of mains regeneration device to help clean up the supply. Do this and you'll have a fighting chance of making a decent sound, providing your equipment is worth listening to in the first place.

4) Try to suppress the urge to forgo all of the above, dumping everything and setting it up any old way, so you can be first at the bar

5) Unless it's a closed ticket only demonstration, make sure the door to your room is open at all times. There's nothing more intimidating than being faced with a closed door, opening it tentatively feeling you might be disturbing someone, and then being greeted with a stern look by a po-faced exhibitor because you've disturbed him in the middle of a pitch. Keep doors open and be smiley and friendly at all times. You're always going to be 'disturbed' by someone at an awkward moment; it's the nature of the beast, so accept it with a smile.

6) Always make sure that you have brochures/leaflets and up-to-date price lists of everything you're demonstrating, and that there are enough of them, laid out neatly on a nearby table. If you're professional and organised there is no excuse not to do this. People like to have something tangible to take away with them and refer to afterwards. It might help you make that sale.

Punters

1) Don't ask inane questions and waste the exhibitor's time. If you're lonely and have no friends go and find someone else to annoy.

2) Always bring a couple of familiar CDs which will help you judge what you're hearing and don't be afraid to ask the exhibitor to play them. What you get out of the experience is largely down to you.

3) Make sure your mobile phone is switched off before entering a room. It is ignorant to have phones ringing or bleeping during a demonstration. Oh and above all try to have a bath or a shower before coming - B.O is even more off-putting than bleeping phones.

4) Don't wait until the last minute to get to any particular room. Try to arrive at the show early so you have plenty of time to visit all the rooms well within the set timescale, particularly on the last day of the show. The last thing a tired exhibitor wants is people arriving in droves at 5pm on a Sunday evening when all they want to do is pack up and go home. Show some respect and common sense.

5) Don't forget to bring a credit card with you because the car park attendants at shows these days often don't take cash, and this fact is often not very clearly advertised.

6) Don't moan like an old woman about the cost of food and drinks - you're in an airport hotel of a large city that's playing host to a captive audience - what do you think is going to happen? If you can't afford to eat and drink there bring a packed lunch.

Above all have fun!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Howard.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

Exhibitors

1) Don't play 'wanky' music - namely, audiophile 'tinkly-tinky' crap that no-one except total geeks listens to, or repetitive compilations of pop nonsense you've made up for the show.

2) When a punter asks you to play a CD, do so with a smile and show willingness instead of grudgingly, with a scowl, thinking to yourself: "Oh no, my uber-revealing audiophile pap which trashes anything other than pristinely recorded test discs is now going to get shown up by some 'real' music."

I'm exaggerating of course (well a bit!), but remember that people can only judge how good your system is with familiar music, so no matter how dreadful you think their music is, let them play it!

3) Take absolute care in setting up your system, showing the same fastidious attention to detail that discerning people attending the show are likely to do with their systems at home. That means neat and tidy cables, using proper hi-fi stands, not plonking your gear any old way on hotel bedroom furniture, and most importantly of all, employing the use of good quality mains leads and mains blocks which do something to address the awful mains supply in hotels.

If you're really good you'll use some kind of mains regeneration device to help clean up the supply. Do this and you'll have a fighting chance of making a decent sound, providing your equipment is worth listening to in the first place.

4) Try to suppress the urge to forgo all of the above, dumping everything and setting it up any old way, so you can be first at the bar

5) Unless it's a closed ticket only demonstration, make sure the door to your room is open at all times. There's nothing more intimidating than being faced with a closed door, opening it tentatively feeling you might be disturbing someone, and then being greeted with a stern look by a po-faced exhibitor because you've disturbed him in the middle of a pitch. Keep doors open and be smiley and friendly at all times. You're always going to be 'disturbed' by someone at an awkward moment; it's the nature of the beast, so accept it with a smile.

6) Always make sure that you have brochures/leaflets and up-to-date price lists of everything you're demonstrating, and that there are enough of them, laid out neatly on a nearby table. If you're professional and organised there is no excuse not to do this. People like to have something tangible to take away with them and refer to afterwards. It might help you make that sale.

Punters

1) Don't ask inane questions and waste the exhibitor's time. If you're lonely and have no friends go and find someone else to annoy.

2) Always bring a couple of familiar CDs which will help you judge what you're hearing and don't be afraid to ask the exhibitor to play them. What you get out of the experience is largely down to you.

3) Make sure your mobile phone is switched off before entering a room. It is ignorant to have phones ringing or bleeping during a demonstration. Oh and above all try to have a bath or a shower before coming - B.O is even more off-putting than bleeping phones.

4) Don't wait until the last minute to get to any particular room. Try to arrive at the show early so you have plenty of time to visit all the rooms well within the set timescale, particularly on the last day of the show. The last thing a tired exhibitor wants is people arriving in droves at 5pm on a Sunday evening when all they want to do is pack up and go home. Show some respect and common sense.

5) Don't forget to bring a credit card with you because the car park attendants at shows these days often don't take cash, and this fact is often not very clearly advertised.

6) Don't moan like an old woman about the cost of food and drinks - you're in an airport hotel of a large city that's playing host to a captive audience - what do you think is going to happen? If you can't afford to eat and drink there bring a packed lunch.

Above all have fun!

Marco.
    Thanks Marco.

All of this makes complete sense to me, and should I hope make sense to everyone who attends audio exhibitions. Meanwhile, how might exhibition organisers get 'new blood' to visit?

---//---
    Well, hello.

I'm Howard.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

Exhibitors

Marco.
    This is a perennial problem at Heathrow if you operating in a corridor room. When I was representing Harbeth, LFD, North Star and Funk at Heathrow earlier this year I was most unfortunately right next to the Mcintosh room. When I spotted this on the floor plan I was of course initially rather pleased. Mcintosh is a prestigious brand and in order to get to their room you had to pass mine. Result!

What had not occurred to me beforehand was that Shadow Audio who are I believe the importers would be playing music at ASBO or neighbour-from-hell sound levels. Admittedly this didn’t happen all the time and I feel sure they weren’t trying to piss me off. Sadly though, it did piss off visitors to my continually packed room who, in the middle of subtle and wonderful recordings of Bach, Patricia Barber, Mozart, Christine Collister or whatever would be assaulted not only by a vibrating floor (no easy trick being of concrete construction) but a horrid noise which was – and I kid you not – occasionally louder than the sound in my own room if I kept my door open.

Given that the air conditioning in my room caused interference with the system we were obliged to listen to music at too high an SPL in my room with the door open or listening in a semi-sauna with the door shut to try and keep out the raucous din from next door. And yes, I know full well how intimidating a closed door can be to a visitor. Between a rock and a hard place on this one.

Gentlemen, truth be told – this specific problem tipped the balance of me deciding not to do a show again. Of course I did have the option of taking a bigger room for September this year that is better insulated, but on balance I thought the £4k could be better spent on a holiday on the Canadian Pacific coast. Which is precisely what I and Mrs. P are going to do when the show is on.

---//---
    Well, hello.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast