+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm not going to exhibit at the September Heathrow Show

I'm Howard.

Default I'm not going to exhibit at the September Heathrow Show

It’s not just the many £1,000s we pay for a decent room, nor the standing up for hours on end talking happily to (in the main) very receptive, enthusiastic decent folk, nor the hernia-inducing activity of lifting, unpacking and so on. It’s not that, not really.

Moreover the rather happy feeling one gets as a successful exhibitor producing under the circumstances a tolerable-to-good sound is just not enough to compensate for the fact that for myself and many of my colleagues, it invariably ends up as a loss-making situation because when one tracks where the profit comes from (exhibition, internet, word of mouth), the exhibition does not bring in sufficient profit to cover the costs in my direct personal experience.

Obviously my own absence and that of a few others I know will not detract from the generally good feeling to be had by one and all through attending. And I really really want the show and subsequent shows to be a success. And perhaps for some, they are.

There’s no question that meeting customers, friends and family of customers, and so on is a pleasant and in some instances humbling situation. Nothing wrong with a bit of humility from time to time. But it seems to me that show visitors in the main value the experience as a convivial and well deserved day out and not part of the pre-purchase research activity. In the nicest sense, lookers not buyers.

Thus an accountant might take the view, and it’s one I find hard to argue with, that an exhibitor is paying for rash self-indulgence with no measurable return on time, effort nor money.

My own views are as follows:

1. My own view and that of other non-participating exhibitors would change if fresh faces appeared at shows. A influx of new blood. No one it seems, and I include myself in this, knows how to achieve it. any thoughts?

2. Shows as we currently know them are failing to deliver what visitors really want. But what do audio exhibition visitors really want?

3. If they have been asked, then why haven't shows evolved?

Meanwhile ....... http://www.chestergroup.org/index.ph...Itemid=31&id=8

---//---
    Last edited by Neil McCauley; 30-07-2008 at 15:08.
    Well, hello.

I'm Keith.

I shan't be at Heathrow either, we are off to Milan , http://www.topaudio.it/ haven't been before looking forward to it immensely, perhaps if the UK had only one show a year?

Is dealers representing brands at shows ( eg Howard showing Harbeth ) a particularly UK phenomenon ? I don't remember any German dealers at the Munich show, I may be wrong.
    Hans

MBL 1531 -> Allnic L-4000 -> Audiolab 8000S used as power amp only -> Quad 2805. Cables: Transparent Ultra

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Howard,

Interesting thread (as usual). For me shows are simply for going to see what's new and interesting - to keep informed basically. I rarely have intention of buying anything that's exhibited because quite frankly nowadays I never (or rarely) hear anything that's better than my system at home. However, now and again some off-the-wall, non-mainstream stuff takes my eye.

When I attend the next show (possibly Heathrow) I'll be paying attention to any decent computer audio set-ups there, as I need to learn more about that side of things, especially as I intend to have some type of server-based set up in the not too distant future. I also wouldn't mind comparing my Spendor SP100s with your Harbeth Monitor 40s at some stage to see if I'm missing anything - if you're up for that

To be brutally honest though, the primary reason I go to shows is to buy new vinyl from the likes of Diverse and Stamford. I usually blow a couple of hundred quid on records as it's very difficult to obtain new vinyl in my neck of the woods, and it's nice to be able to flick through a physical stock rather than order on-line.

I'll come back to you later with some ideas about how things might be improved at shows for the benefit of the punter and exhibitor!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Howard.

It's quite unusual in the UK I think. I did this because I wanted the best possible sound and this could only be achieved by using selected products from a combination of suppliers. Only a retailer or a distributor with a range of products has this flexibility.

In contrast my guess is that even the most fanatical of Naim employees, knowing the obvious limitations of their speakers prefer a retailer to exhibit for them. Such a retailer is TomTom audio. No fool he. That's why he uses Kudos speakers in preference to the Naim ones I suppose. I certainly would!

---//---
    Well, hello.

I'm Keith.

Quote Originally Posted by Togil View Post
    Is dealers representing brands at shows ( eg Howard showing Harbeth ) a particularly UK phenomenon ? I don't remember any German dealers at the Munich show, I may be wrong.
    I think the Munich show is aimed more towards distributors/ manufacturers rather than dealers. Munich is very expensive Euros 15k for the room we used.

Fifteen thousand Euros? Bloody hell! How do they justify that? And is that per day or for the duration of the show?

For that price I presume they unload the gear and set it up for you, and the room you get is the size of a football stadium with gourmet food served and unlimited drinks brought to you on request by helpful, smiling, stocking-clad girlies

At least that's what I'd be wanting for that bloody price!!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Like these, Munich 2008
    Hans

MBL 1531 -> Allnic L-4000 -> Audiolab 8000S used as power amp only -> Quad 2805. Cables: Transparent Ultra

They'll do, Hans!

But honestly, that's a shocking price. I presume it's at least for the duration of the show and not per day?

Otherwise someone's having a laugh! But even then it's still a joke...

Marco.
    Main System

I also wouldn't mind comparing my Spendor SP100s with your Harbeth Monitor 40s at some stage to see if I'm missing anything - if you're up for that.
    Howard?

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast