+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thorens service type bod in the Midlands...

synsei Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Hi Dave

I hear you with the back accident, i had a pack of oak timber fall on me from a delivery lorry at work when i was about 18, thought i was doomed, i'm still in terrific pain at times especially when i put weight on, theirs been times i've been out boozing, got pissed & slept on my back all night in which i literally cant move in the morning. Do try service the Thorens yourself it's really not that hard..I'll PM you some details anyway.You can source belt & oil for the deck, aslong as those leaf spring are ok i see no problems with the deck once fettled..I never personally liked that model as i found the bottom end a bit weak sounding.
    I carried out a basic service on the deck back in September, replacing the belt and also the bearing oil using one of Joel's kits from eBay. The motor is noisy and needs shimming apparently, which will be beyond my abilities to do myself. I think the springs are okay, but having had no experience with suspended decks I'm not really sure. I'm going to need to source some transit screws from somewhere too, as they weren't supplied with the deck when i bought it. There is also a crackle through the speakers when I move the arm over the platter, but it doesn't manifest when playing records. It definitely needs fettling...

I've heard from several people that the TD316 can sound bass light, but in my system it sounds great. I've matched the system fairly carefully to offset this trait: The DH220 has plenty of bass slam and extension as do the LS55's so it all sounds pretty good to me. Not that I wouldn't mind upgrading my TT at some point. I've always lusted after a Michell Gyro, which I would nominate as one of the most beautifully designed hi-fi components of all time. It doesn't sound too shabby either, which is a bonus...

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Why not try the UK importer, who is currently UKD from memory.

Thorens went for years in limbo in the UK and they've lost most of the healthy market share they once had. To be honest, and judging by the apalling pay in hifi shops these days, I'd be very surprised if you find a long term staff member who remembers these models (I do, but sold very few and the suspensions are different to the 150/160 models I know so well).

One thing about the motor - how come that after twenty years or so it suddenly needs shims? I appreciate the main problem with many Thorens decks in this series was a DC motor with severe servo overshoot (the main criticism), but those little motors should run until they stop....

Please try UKD. It's a small concern and Nick may be around this week. At the very least, he may be able to source a service manual which should explain in depth the setup and alignment proceedure for one of these.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanS View Post
    Try John Townrow in Birmingham who does classic Thorens.

Synsei

I have spoken with John Townrow (see above) on your behalf and if you contact him Tuesday of next week onwards he will do what he can for you. He's a good bloke been in the business for years and has his own workshop.

BTW He is in Birmingham

synsei Guest

Ok, a more detailed description of the motor noise is in order methinks. Basically it chuffs like an old Hornby 00 steam loco fitted with a sound module, only quieter thank the lord. After posting the problem on VE I was advised to check whether the locator forks were rubbing on the drive belt, which they are not. Another VE member suggested the shims at the the base of the motor might be worn and sent me a link to an outfit that produce a doo-dad that clips to the base of the motor and presses against the base of the motor shaft essentially lifting it free of the shim. The motor shaft runs on a ptfe bearing housed within the doo-dad IIRC.

synsei Guest

Synsei

I have spoken with John Townrow (see above) on your behalf and if you contact him Tuesday of next week onwards he will do what he can for you. He's a good bloke been in the business for years and has his own workshop.

BTW He is in Birmingham
    Wow, thanks Alan, you're a gent...

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Synsei

BTW He is in Birmingham
    He's an AVI dealer as well, so can't be bad Actually, I agree that he's a good guy and well worth visiting. His site has some genuinely good advice too I think. Glad he's an established Thorens dealer. I'll remember that for future reference

I'm Alan.

Dave

I don't think Five Ways are official dealers now, but John's long term experience and contacts/creative problem solving may get our man sorted.
    Last edited by AlanS; 30-12-2010 at 12:36.

I'm David.

No doubt at all

PLEASE return and tell us the result of the fettling - whether motor shims were in fact needed? I ask because of the years I spent with Linn motors, which had the home-made thrust kit mounted on all pre Lingo motors. Either the thrust kit added noise (on early ones without ball bearings) or the top motor bush was noisy. Either way, it was a pain for many sufferers until six months use had passed, by which time the offending bits had polished up a bit.. I note that the later Linn airpax motors were supplied with the motor-manufacturer made thrust pad which everyone else had been using for decades before.....

synsei Guest

I'll post the results as soon as I've spoken to John. Incidentally, have you or Alan got any idea where I might source some transit screws for the 316?

I'm David.

UKD?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast