+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Naim Ovator S-400 at Radlett Audio

I'm Deleted.

I'm not so sure that there is much difference between the S-600 and S-400 in terms of 'wife acceptance factor'. I mean, the S-400's look exactly the same as the S-600 and they are still a reasonably big floorstander.

1000 posts - shouldn't you get a certifacte or something?
    Account Deleted

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

I think "wife acceptance factor" should mean something entirely different... As in, one should only 'accept' the wife concerned if she likes proper (read as large) speakers

Getting back on-topic, I've heard the S-600s, and was pretty impessed. IMO, they're one of the best speakers Naim have made.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Deleted.

Wait till you hear the 400's then Marco, they are really very good indeed and good value for money too IMHO.
    Account Deleted

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Marco obviously likes BIG bass
    Last edited by DSJR; 20-12-2010 at 19:03. Reason: To remove any misunderstanding
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

Lol - no he doesn't. Ovators certainly don't sound like that!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Lol - no he doesn't. Ovators certainly don't sound like that!

Marco.
    We shall see Snowed under right now, but I do intend to visit Dave W shortly, as I want to hear some proper speakers again (Harbeth 40.1's...)

Therre's bass, and then there's booooooooooooooommmmmmmmmmmmmmm, which most audio people mistake for bass

Well I'm not "most audio people", Dave.

My Lockwoods produce bass that would rearrange your insides, but boomy it ain't... Dunno where you're getting this shite from and why you're aiming it at me

As for the Ovators, well, much will depend on the type of room Dave has compared to the one I heard the Ovators in, and the system he uses.... Variables, my boy, variables - switching the rather absolutist side of your brain off now and then would help matters enormously!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm David.

I'm not aiming shite at you Marco, or anyone else for that matter. Oh to express oneself better online I fully appreciate what your Tannoys can do (I do have an inkling what BIG monitors are capable of you know ), but I'm sure you'd agree that most modern smaller ported boxes reproduce anything like accurate bass as they can honk so and my Spendors are definitely no exception...

As for the Ovators, they're going to be given priority when I visit Dave soon - I liked later SBL's and a fully active NBL system I heard sounded fab, apart from the exorbitant costs incurred.

Marco, I NEVER mean to deliberately aim any shite at anyone, least of all you of all people. A bit of cack-handed Aspergically coloured "humour" certainly, but never EVER malicious, I promise.

I'm Deleted.

The bass didn't sound at all 'boomy' when I heard the S-400's. The S-600's have produced such a quality at times, which is why I was so impressed by the apparently better integration of the S-400's.
    Account Deleted

I'm inthescottishmafia.

S'why I like statics or OB's- no box to boom along to the moozic!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast