+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Origin Live or Trichord?

I'm Rick.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    I do get the feeling that no matter how lavishly presented, Luxman gear is very expensive for what's inside and the performance on offer - just my thoughts..

I love Glenn Croft's phono stages and the £600 one he does is based on the "R" spec. I'd also give a shout for Mr Lurcher's take on things if he's able to do summat for you.

While I'm in whingebag mode, I also feel that so many of these "legacy" products are leftovers from when the audio industry was more bouyant and still priced accordingly. Internal components are ten-a-penny and even sensible "boutique" ones aren't hugely pricey. I'd rather put my vinyl money into a dedicated hand made phono stage, rather than a purely-for-profit confection for people with more money than sense. Just my rambles - put the Cambridge 640P into a fancy box, charge many hundreds for it and it would be hailed as the second coming
    Wow...are we related? Your sentiments match mine very closely.

Price and performance are very far apart in this hobby and Industry...which is why unfortunately it is so difficult to make a decision.

I'm actually running a 640p in my system right now as a hold-over to get me to the next long term PS in my system...I don't feel like I'm missing much, albeit I did try out a Chris Johnson modded PS Audio GCPH and there was a difference - an improvement.

I would sincerely appreciate more info specific to your recommendations - Glenn Croft and Mr. Lurcher - these are gents and products I have no prior experience with.

Fun thread,

Rick.
    Rick.

Kenwood KD-650 w/ Denon DL-103 (wood body, Soundsmith elliptical retip), Lite Audio DAC-83 & LT-1 Transport, Luxman M-05 Pure Class 'A' Amplifier, Luxman C-05 preamplifier, Yamaha NS-1000M (beautifully refinished and upgraded) on custom made wood stands.

I once met a woman who would put up with me...so I married her!

I'm ILOB.

Here is what Nick (Lurcher) did for Marco
    http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...ght=nick+phono
    and what he did for Black Adder
    http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...ght=nick+phono
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    I do get the feeling that no matter how lavishly presented, Luxman gear is very expensive for what's inside and the performance on offer - just my thoughts..

I love Glenn Croft's phono stages and the £600 one he does is based on the "R" spec. I'd also give a shout for Mr Lurcher's take on things if he's able to do summat for you.

While I'm in whingebag mode, I also feel that so many of these "legacy" products are leftovers from when the audio industry was more bouyant and still priced accordingly. Internal components are ten-a-penny and even sensible "boutique" ones aren't hugely pricey. I'd rather put my vinyl money into a dedicated hand made phono stage, rather than a purely-for-profit confection for people with more money than sense. Just my rambles - put the Cambridge 640P into a fancy box, charge many hundreds for it and it would be hailed as the second coming
    Dave ' i aggree with you on that , but you see i had a 640p and tried the Diablo on a 30 day sale or return from Alex (audio afair) and even with the basic and it is a basic psu ! it blew the 640p out of the window and kicked it down the street , that is with the DL160 of course , but also it was an ex dem unit with £200 knocked off ! so i grabbed it with the NCPSU its oh so quiet and it doesn't need fancy mains cables either ' which is a plus .
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Rick.

John, thanks very much for the links, I'm going to look closely at the info provided. I take it these are folks here on this site?

I'll include that I just received an email from a long time audio acquaintance who I have bought and sold many wonderful pieces of gear from and to. He informed me that he has just purchased the Jasmine LP2.0MKII after spending a few weeks with the previous SE version. Now this gent was running the Jasmine with a Zu Denon DL-103 cartridge and found the pairing very good...good enough to order one.

So I'll ask for any thoughts regarding the Jasmine???

Rick.
    Rick.

Kenwood KD-650 w/ Denon DL-103 (wood body, Soundsmith elliptical retip), Lite Audio DAC-83 & LT-1 Transport, Luxman M-05 Pure Class 'A' Amplifier, Luxman C-05 preamplifier, Yamaha NS-1000M (beautifully refinished and upgraded) on custom made wood stands.

I once met a woman who would put up with me...so I married her!

I'm Retief.

Just to throw another in the mix, I recently got the Pure Sound P10 and am over the moon with it. At this stage I honestly cannot say that I need more. I also rate the Graham Slee phono stages highly!
    Retief
    Analogue: Origin Live Resolution mk2,OL Encounter mk3c,MM III and isolator.Digital:CA 840C.Amplification:Croft RIAA R, Icon Audio LA4mkii,Icon Audio MB845 signature version.Speakers: Kef Reference 203/2 Cables: Mark Grant G2000HD. Speaker cable Van Damme Hi-Fi UP-LCOFC.Headphone: Grado PS1000,HD650,HD600,Icon Audio HP8 RCM DIY Moth

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12