+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sme V + cartridge match for 1210

I'm Andrew.

Default sme V + cartridge match for 1210

I used to own a LP12 with a SME V and ortonfon rohman cartridge. Things have now changed and I found that I prefer DD TT's. My current 1210 has been very highly modified. currently it consists of Mike new composite copper platter, bearing, copper armboard and bearing mount. SME V tonearm + Nordost TYR tonearm cable. Power supply is the TimeStep HE. I have removed all none-essential electronics inside. The final part of this journey is to get a decent cartridge. I've salvaged my old ATC 0C/II from my Technoarm. I dont want MM, i've had these before and cant say that I'm too happy with them. Budget is £750-1500 (possibly). Mainly listen to Prog, jazz, heavy metal, electronica etc. I prefer a visceral attack to the senses rather than a warm cuddly sound. Any idea what I should try??

I'm Nobody.

What about Lyra

I'm ChrisB.

I prefer a visceral attack to the senses
    This would make me think of Clearaudio cartridges - visceral is the word that has come to mind whenever I have heard one. Not sure how the current range sounds though.

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Transfiguration Axia ? what about a top of the range London .

http://www.divineaudio.co.uk/hi-fi/c...prod_1000.html
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

London Decca and maybe see about slackening off the tonearm bearing "bridge" and using a tad of damping.

SME used the old Clearaudios with the 20 and 30 as I remember and the one occasion I heard the ZYX R100 I liked it.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    London Decca and maybe see about slackening off the tonearm bearing "bridge" and using a tad of damping.

SME used the old Clearaudios with the 20 and 30 as I remember and the one occasion I heard the ZYX R100 I liked it.
    I am enjoying my Zyx Airy 3x (R1000) quite well with my SME V on the ultramodded Techie.
    Hearing is believing

SL-1210 Mk5 w/Mike New Platter/bearing/armboard; Hynes SR5 DIY PSU;
    Zyx Airy3X; SME V; Hashimoto HM7 SUT; CJ PR15MkII Phono w/teflon caps.

Modwright LS36.5 Dual Mono Preamp & KWA 150 amp > Paradigm Ref 100 v.4s

I'm Hugo.

Don't overlook the Audio Technica AT33EV.

MartinT Guest

Andrew, you urgently need Isonoe feet with that combo otherwise you won't yield the results the SME is capable of. I would recommend the AT33EV as Shuggie says or the AT33PTG which is now in Mk.II form.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    Andrew, you urgently need Isonoe feet with that combo otherwise you won't yield the results the SME is capable of. I would recommend the AT33EV as Shuggie says or the AT33PTG which is now in Mk.II form.
    I already own the Isone feet and they are terminated into 6mm of Sorbothane! The set up sounded very good with just the stock platter, mike new bearing and an old Technoarm so this whole new kit should hopefully sound sublime!

I'm Adam.

Bit confused - do you no longer have the Rohmann then? If so - use it!

If not, and you liked it, why not try a modern Ortofon MC - the Cadenza Black is suppsed to be very good and the MC Jubilee is one of my all-time favourite cartridges. Both will work very well in the SME.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast