+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Turntable Recommendations?

I'm Nick.

Default Turntable Recommendations?

I'm coming to the conclusion that it may be time to upgrade my Pro-Ject Debut turntable for something better. I've posted before about the earthing question, but the general level of turntable noise on the Debut is annoying.

If I were to replace it I'd be looking for something second-hand, possibly vintage. I have no idea on price so it would be useful to have a guide. I can't afford anything more than £150. If it can't be done in that budget I'll stick with what I've got.

I'd be happy to hear if anyone thought there some basic mods I could perform on the Debut to do something about the way it spoils the sound.

Thanks for any thoughts!
    Last edited by Beechwoods; 24-07-2008 at 18:54.
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

For that money, you should easily be able to better your Pro-Ject. You could get a Lenco or a reasonable japanese direct drive (possibly a Technics SL1200/1210 if you're lucky).
    "Always carry a large flagon of whisky, in case of snake bite and, furthermore, always carry a small snake."

Kevin

I'm Greg.

Yep, my vote would be for a Lenco, replinthed and fitted with new arm of your choice (or you might already have one). Maybe steal from the Project as a starter?

Loads of good info here.

http://www.lenco-lovers.com/forum/

It'll involve a bit of detailed reading of this forum and some basic DIY (I mean basic so easily within the average persons capability) and to be sure, if you go this way, despite the old and cheap appearance of the Lenco deck, what you will get will be very close to the best LP playback currently available at a seriously bargain price. This is not a con. Some of the best I have ever heard have been based in this TT. Considering your limited budget, if I was in your position, what I suggest would be a no-brainer.

Think in terms of £35 for the TT. One of the best kept listeners Hi-Fi secrets

Best wishes,

Greg
    Last edited by Cotlake; 24-07-2008 at 19:55.

I'm InSpace.

And there's one sat right next to me doing nothing.
    Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

I'm Nick.

Wow. I seriously thought I'd be in with no chance of anything remotely decent, and it seems like I might actually be in luck (my wife was like, 'how much' when she saw me type my upper limit in my earlier post). I quite like the look of some of the Lenco's actually. Which model do you recommend as a starting point? I'm more than happy to do some DIY along the way.

Is that an offer, Mike??
    Nick
    My system...

I'm InSpace.

Quote Originally Posted by Beechwoods View Post
    Is that an offer, Mike??
    I could be persuaded!

It was going to be a little project for sometime soon, but the 'projects' are piling up!

It's a Goldring Lenco GL75 with a plinth (standard one - not great TBH) and a spare motor. It will need a tonearm though. Have a look on the lenco-lovers forum and see if it's something you fancy tackling, a heavy plinth is a 'must' for these things, there's even a Slatedeck available for them.

Cheers....
    Shian7

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

Definitely go for a heavy platter model (75, 88, 99). The 75 is the most common with a heavy pressed steel chassis and integrated arm, platter weight 4Kg. I have one and it gave good service (latterly with early versions of my diy arm), until replaced by my Garrard 401. The 88 and 99 were supplied without arms and would be an easier option if you want to fit the arm of your choice. Mechanically they are pretty much the same as the 75, but I think they have cast alloy chassis. All models were commonly sold as Goldring - Lencos though other brand names were used (mine was a Leak Delta). All models are reliable, the most common problem being deterioration of the arms rubber knife edge pivot points, easily replaced (available from Technical & General).
    "Always carry a large flagon of whisky, in case of snake bite and, furthermore, always carry a small snake."

Kevin

I'm Nick.

I'll certainly do some reading, and have a good think about it There's a GL75 on the 'bay right now which will also be worth watching, no plinth, but that's not something I'm overly worried about taking on myself.

One day I'd love a Slatedeck. Beautiful plinths, they do, but a bit outside my price-range! Ah well, I can dream!
    Nick
    My system...

I'm InSpace.

Quote Originally Posted by Beechwoods View Post
    There's a GL75 on the 'bay right now which will also be worth watching
    I'm guessing you mean this one: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA:IT&ih=020

It would be a good buy at anything up to about forty quid, maybe more! It has the metal idler wheel which I've seen go for over thirty quid alone.
    They are seriously underestimated decks. The pick of the heavy platter models is probably the '99' but you'll need to spend more like a hundred quid to get hold of one. They are much like a Garrard 301 but without the price tag.
    Shian7

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

I'm InSpace.

Beechy, Beechy, Beechy...

You payed too much!