+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sony amp

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Unless something has happened to it in its life, its a crude sounding, post 1975 Jap special, all thin and tinny as was the 7600... memories can and do fool me, but the Japanese ranges we received in the UK after the VAT increase that started the long decline of our industry never quite reached the heights of some of the products from before. This doesn't mean that the great stuff wasn't being made, but IMO the importers possibly thought that the market wasn't there in the UK so didn't bother, except for a very tiny number of items cobbled probably from their main European distributor (in Germany?).

Sony made the 5650 and 8650 which we saw here at the same time of the first valve resurgence in c1975. I understand from Vintage Knob that there was also a 4650 in the US and also mk2 versions which we never saw. There may have been later ones as well, but I'm afraid I know nothing of them. of course, by the 80's, all the top end far eastern gear was all but totally ignored in the UK, such was the dominance of outspoken UK brands holding us back, together with an equally snotty US contingent - IMO.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

Location: Swaledale, North Yorkshire + The Valley of Longevity

I'm Toooldnowtogrowup.

Thanks for helping me out there Dave ..... on both posts ....
    Brian
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Smile, breathe and go slowly ..........................

I'm David.

Default sony amp

Hi,I would have to agree with Dave on this.
    Dave[another]
    Don't need any Tannoys - I've got the best. All cables supplied by pound shop or better.
    Cheatfinder General.

One of the hidden gems of the 70's era is the AIWA AA8500 and AA8700. The AA8700 was the best and most expensive amp Aiwa ever made as far as I know, and I happen to have three of them. Unfortunately each one has a minor blemish of sort, so I hope to make a pristine one out of the three after the new year and post pics of it.
    But if you ever come across the AA8500 or AA8700, it's worth a punt if it is in full working order.

I'm Darrell.

I actually have a quiet appreciation for Technics gear, I worked for a Matsushita retailer and repair shop for around 15 years.
    But have to agree most of the gear from the 70's era was crap.
    Amplifier wise, that is.
    Darrell.

Di Do Do Dat Doh Don't Di Doh..Di Do Doh..Don;t Di.

The cheaper ones were. The good ones used to cost a month's or two wages and not many were sold.

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Quote Originally Posted by ourdogmax View Post
    I actually have a quiet appreciation for Technics gear, I worked for a Matsushita retailer and repair shop for around 15 years.
    But have to agree most of the gear from the 70's era was crap.
    Amplifier wise, that is.
    Hi Darrell, seeing as you mentioned this, do you mind if i ask a question?

Did the Technics SE-A1 power amplifier ever go into production? I have seen pictures of it & i believe i even have the circuit diagram but even though the thing is like rocking horse sh*t i can find anything on anyone actually owning one

Just in case you don't know it the spec is 350W RMS per channel 8ohm class A, but it had a seperate low voltage PSU for the class A circuit so dissipation wasn't through the roof. Just found & added a link
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I can answer that one, since I spent about 8 weeks fixing one for a customer when I was at Lasky's Servicepoint. JUst about every transistor was blown. I had to use a trolley to cart it about.
    The Harman Kardon Citation XX was however far superior in built and sound quality.

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    I can answer that one, since I spent about 8 weeks fixing one for a customer when I was at Lasky's Servicepoint. JUst about every transistor was blown. I had to use a trolley to cart it about.
    The Harman Kardon Citation XX was however far superior in built and sound quality.

Yeah well it was a typical high feedback jap design from what i can establish so it's not surprising it didn't cut the mustard

Quite a few transistors from what i can see to (read bloody loads with two amplifiers per channel), would have been a damn expensive repair

Cheers Stanley
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm Darrell.

Mark, I never clapped eyes on one.

You wouldn't believe how many models there were.

6 filing cabinets full of schematics.

I wish I could have saved them when the firm went down, bugger
    Darrell.

Di Do Do Dat Doh Don't Di Doh..Di Do Doh..Don;t Di.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast