+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Shine On You Crazy Diamond

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

In an interview for another programme a good few months ago, Mr Gilmour was being interviewed, I think, on his house-boat. he picked up his guitar and played the intro to the title track and my goose bumps goose bumped... he knows what he's doing alright - and who ever said that most rock musicians (as against prog ones) were extremely profficient technically? I mean, to me, it's not how good you are, but what you can do with the talents you have...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Steve.

A couple of years ago, I remember John Watson of Mana telling me that Floyd had used Mana under the monitoring speakers.. and I seem to also recall that they recognized this in credits some where. Must have a look..

I'm Nick.

he picked up his guitar and played the intro to the title track and my goose bumps goose bumped
    And given that he owns the 1957 Strat he does and Fender make a Gilmour replica, I think we can assume the tone in question was not due to being forced to play a Squire, and was by choice.
    Nick.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

I'd like to get my hands on the 1954 Strat he has, serial no.0001 .
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Will.

Sometimes musicians want a particular sound, 'Warts and All', not everyone wants to sound like the LSO.

Will Holland recorded all the drum tracks for Quantic Soul Orchestra's first album in his garden shed with sellotape around the sticks, because he wanted to simulate the sound of a cheap beat box.

Some comments on here remind me of the great line from 'Bad News On Tour'...

'I could play 'Stairway to Heaven' when I was 12...Jimmy Page didn't even write it until he was 21'
    Cheers, Will

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by lurcher View Post
    I wonder if you may be conflating something being hard to play with something being musically worthwhile. I know from first hand experience that can be a bit of a guitarist disease. IMHO, the question should never be "can I play it", with enough practice most things are possible, but "could I have created it".
    In my case, it's the other way around. I am admittedly such a lousy guitarist, that if even I can play something, that means that it must be super easy.

That's why I said that I wasn't bowled over his solo on that track, because even I, with my shitty playing abilities, can easily play something like that.

On the other hand, put something by Mr. Albert King, and watch me become all thumbs. There is no way that I will ever be able to play anything even remotely close to what Albert is doing.

Same goes for Hendrix, of course. There is a good reason why these players are much larger legends than Pink Floyd's lead guitarist.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    OK, so you're a better guitarist than Gilmour.

Which albums have you recorded and with which band/bands ?
    Give us all an idea of your musical accomplishments.
    Or shut up.
    I think I'd prefer the latter, if I'm being completely honest.
    Hey, I never said that I'm better guitarist than Gilmour. Don't put words in my mouth.

I am not a musician, so your request is way out of line.

I do apologize, however, if I have inadvertently hurt your feelings by deriding your favorite guitarist, or band, or album. That wasn't my intention, I merely wanted to hear other people's impressions about that song. I used to adore it in my youth, but now, returning to it 30 years later, I find it somewhat lacking.

But chalk that up to my personal taste, and things will get back to normal for you in no time.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Imjustsurviving.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    I used to adore it in my youth, but now, returning to it 30 years later, I find it somewhat lacking.
    I'm afraid thats the truth about most things in life, keep them as fond memories, they are what they are
    Jon

A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.

Set up
    Lafayette el84 power amp , Audio note M1 pre , Tannoy Sterlings, Garrard 301 , SME 3012 , puresound P10, Ortofon SPU, Cambridge CXN streamer
    Micro mega Duo 3 cd transport ,

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    Maybe it's not the musicianship at all - maybe the sound quality isn't up to it. Were the guitar & drums recorded less than perfectly?
    Could this be the result of musicians not playing together but recording their parts separately?
    Is your 'best possible' system telling you the truth?

Just a few thoughts!
    Makes sense, and thanks for bringing it up. What confuses me is the sharp contrast (to me) between the gorgeously performed and recorded synthesizer swirls, the larger-than-life drums (which sound actually breathtaking), the ultra deep and spacious bass, and the pathetic, brittle sounding and paper thin electric guitar.

But, as others have commented here, it must be definitely by design. There is something in that super annoying (to me) brittleness that must be the message that Floyd wanted to give us, and it's not registering with me.

Oh well, no biggie, everyone back to work!

Alex.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonboy View Post
    I'm afraid thats the truth about most things in life, keep them as fond memories, they are what they are
    Like that first fuck on the first date?

Alex.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast