+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hello Everyone

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Aye one of those babies!

Anyone for a latty, and a brushetta with mozarela and yon crispy roket?

Teara-misuse for afters, of course.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    If you fancy something in slate then these guys have got custom plinths for Garrards well and truly nailed - not cheap though, but the quality is fantastic. I intend to have my SL-1210 mounted in one later this year (I fancy Granite):

http://www.slatedeck.com/

Marco.
    Hi everyone, I thought I'd say hello. There look to be good discussions happening here. Marco I came across your mention of Slatedeck, I've been using a single tier Slatedeck with my 301 for well over a year now. 2 days ago I installed a 2nd lower tier. Here's my assessment:

Even before I ordered my Slatedeck plinth for my 301 I wondered how it would sound with twin tiers. I originally bought a single tier of the "almost square" type, 30mm thickness. I've never looked back or remotely considered wood-based CLD plinths since (which I previously had put a lot of time into). Finally I bit the bullet and bought the 2nd (lower) slate tier for my plinth. The apertures are smaller than with the top layer making it considerably heavier. When leveling the plinth I found that the extra set of 3 adjustable spikes mean that setting up the deck can be achieved even more easily and with greater accuracy. I'd always wanted the 2nd tier, if only for the great looks - it does look good!

Having played a good variation of music now with the twin tier I am very pleased with the results. I didn't know what to expect, possibly results will vary depending on your TT support. I use a 70's Sound Org stand with an over-sized wood top. What immediately struck me were 2 improved aspects;
    - the music seems more vivid, everything stands out more or put another way all sounds are more distinct
    - images are more fleshed out, especially with significantly better 3D between the speakers, imaging improved more than I thought possible - it was already superb

Once I got over the initial improvements I realised that bass was stronger and deeper - deeper than the mid-Atlantic trench - at least it is with my 15inch subs. Treble has also moved up a notch (quantity and definition) so the sound is still very balanced. Dynamics are better too, particularly rim-shot type of sounds, very snappy indeed.

Before I installed the lower tier I couldn't imagine how the sound would improve or even could improve but it has. The sound now is more vivid than ever, it's a bit like using digital photo software on a picture taken on a dull day and changing the saturation to produce realistic colours and contrast.

cheers,

Clive

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Hi Clive and welcome.

Glad you're getting good results from your Slatedeck.

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

I'm Mike.

Default Italian As She Is Spoke

Chow, bang beano,

'bout time someone tried to safeguard the purity of the beautiful Italian language. Well done, Marco!

LOL. In the name of 'cult-chur', and as an Italian, it had to be done

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    Hi everyone, I thought I'd say hello. There look to be good discussions happening here. Marco I came across your mention of Slatedeck, I've been using a single tier Slatedeck with my 301 for well over a year now. 2 days ago I installed a 2nd lower tier. Here's my assessment:

Even before I ordered my Slatedeck plinth for my 301 I wondered how it would sound with twin tiers. I originally bought a single tier of the "almost square" type, 30mm thickness. I've never looked back or remotely considered wood-based CLD plinths since (which I previously had put a lot of time into). Finally I bit the bullet and bought the 2nd (lower) slate tier for my plinth. The apertures are smaller than with the top layer making it considerably heavier. When leveling the plinth I found that the extra set of 3 adjustable spikes mean that setting up the deck can be achieved even more easily and with greater accuracy. I'd always wanted the 2nd tier, if only for the great looks - it does look good!

Having played a good variation of music now with the twin tier I am very pleased with the results. I didn't know what to expect, possibly results will vary depending on your TT support. I use a 70's Sound Org stand with an over-sized wood top. What immediately struck me were 2 improved aspects;
    - the music seems more vivid, everything stands out more or put another way all sounds are more distinct
    - images are more fleshed out, especially with significantly better 3D between the speakers, imaging improved more than I thought possible - it was already superb

Once I got over the initial improvements I realised that bass was stronger and deeper - deeper than the mid-Atlantic trench - at least it is with my 15inch subs. Treble has also moved up a notch (quantity and definition) so the sound is still very balanced. Dynamics are better too, particularly rim-shot type of sounds, very snappy indeed.

Before I installed the lower tier I couldn't imagine how the sound would improve or even could improve but it has. The sound now is more vivid than ever, it's a bit like using digital photo software on a picture taken on a dull day and changing the saturation to produce realistic colours and contrast.

cheers,

Clive
    Hi Clive,

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for posting your thoughts on the Slatedeck. I trust Darren's expertise on this and will definitely be getting him to make a plinth for my deck once I've gone through my list of other hi-fi modification priorities. I would imagine it will occur sometime at the end of the year.

I'm currently on 'pre & power amp duty' at the moment, then it will be further Audiocom International modifications to my DAS-R1 DAC, etc

Incidentally, what are the overall dimensions of your 301 in its plinth?

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hi Clive,

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for posting your thoughts on the Slatedeck. I trust Darren's expertise on this and will definitely be getting him to make a plinth for my deck once I've gone through my list of other hi-fi modification priorities. I would imagine it will occur sometime at the end of the year.

I'm currently on 'pre & power amp duty' at the moment, then it will be further Audiocom International modifications to my DAS-R1 DAC, etc

Incidentally, what are the overall dimensions of your 301 in its plinth?

Marco.
    Hi Marco,

The version I have is 465mm wide by 455mm deep. The pic of the deck is not brilliant but you can see the plinth.

That's very nice turntable, and the plinth looks gorgeous

What arm is that you're using. It looks rather interesting!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Clive.

The arm is a Trans-Fi Terminator. It's an inverted Ladegaard airbearing. It's simply the best I've ever heard....
    http://www.trans-fi.com/terminatortonearm.htm

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12