+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My system

I'm Simon.

Hi guys, thanks for looking and for the recommendations.

I have considered valves but can't really afford them yet, it seems very expensive to do properly. Now that I'm bi-amping, however, I could happily live with amps with poor bass and low power as the bass is taken care of separately and my top end is quite efficient and high impedance.

As I say, the next step will be class A with transistors. By all accounts the JLH amp sounds like many a valve amp itself! I do yearn to try valves (and records) one day, it just seems very expensive to do well, especially the records as I already have a very good source.

Marco, I've added my location and some other details.

John, when you say mounting plate do you mean some kind of metal ring or extra baffle insert to mount the drivers on?

Cheers,
    Simon
    Listening to: modified Arcam Alpha, DIY preamp, DIY chip amp (top end amp), modified Carlsbro Powerline 800 (bass amp), DIY open baffle 3 way speakers (passive biamp for now)

I'm inthescottishmafia.

There was a pair of JLH's on ebay recently. Not sure f they sold or not.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

I'm Simon.

I saw those and whilst they look ok, I think I can do a better job myself. To make it easy I've ordered pre-stuffed kit boards, and very cheaply! I will just add the power supply, chassis, heatsinking, connections and upgrade the components myself. With class A CD player output and preamp, the power amp is the final piece of the puzzle to banish any remnants of bad sound I reckon
    Listening to: modified Arcam Alpha, DIY preamp, DIY chip amp (top end amp), modified Carlsbro Powerline 800 (bass amp), DIY open baffle 3 way speakers (passive biamp for now)

I'm steve.

if i've not got your name mixed up.. I think i met you down at the diy audio meet in sheffield about 3 years ago

that was a good day...

cheers
    steve
    collector and DIY user of old british triode valves

Open baffles / single ended diy px4 and px25 valve amps

I'm Simon.

July 2007 in Chesterfield, yep. You had 2 x 12" full range open baffles running off DIY valve amps if I remember rightly

I did introduce myself in the welcome area some months back, though I've not posted a lot since.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12