+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Unrealistic customer perception

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Marco, I suspect that very few high-end audio salons are started with a business plan, but that most of them are started because their founders "believe in the worth of the product or service you are selling." I think the trouble begins when they find out that a bit less of the public than they hoped shares that belief.
    Yep, but when that happens it's time for 'Plan B' - not taking it out on your customers because they don't share your enthusiasm for what you're selling! You have to supply the demand. And starting any business without a business plan and doing some market research is quite frankly ludicrous. You can't just wait for things to happen, you have to *make* them happen and set yourself appropriate goals.

This is all basic common sense stuff as far as I'm concerned.

Are the "high-end audio salons" where you are really so clueless?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Yep, but when that happens it's time for 'Plan B' - not taking it out on your customers because they don't share your enthusiasm for what you're selling! You have to supply the demand. And starting any business without a business plan and doing some market research is quite frankly ludicrous. You can't just wait for things to happen, you have to *make* them happen and set yourself appropriate goals.

This is all basic common sense stuff as far as I'm concerned.

Are the "high-end audio salons" where you are really so clueless?

Marco.
    No, I don't think they're clueless. I think their business plans are intuitive, not the B-school stuff, but what the heck, that's the way it was done for a couple of hundred years before business schools were invented by academics looking for new sources of income. Even without the formal plan, I think most of them know who their market is, but many of them seem to have no real patience for anyone who is even a few degrees off target. And just below the surface, I think they have little patience for customers who are dead on target but just happen to prefer different choices. The vinyl guys dismiss cds. The tube guys dismiss solid state. The sales guys dismiss the brands, no matter how high end, that they don't have, and everyone dismisses pure digital, blissfully unaware that it is looming right over their shoulders, a breath away from eating their young and spitting glass. When I think about it, they're not much different than many of their customers !

But that picture was painted with a broad brush. There are plenty of exceptions.

Tim
    Last edited by tfarney; 23-07-2008 at 21:01.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

I know where you're coming from, Tim, but such laid-back attitudes in business rarely succeed. Perhaps they did 20 or 30 years ago but not now. In today's highly competitive marketplace you have to plan to succeed or succeed to fail. Goals have to be set, and targets reached, otherwise a business will stagnate. Therefore you need a plan.

Like I said before, it's all about having the right attitude. A good businessman or salesman tailors his or her approach to suit the 'character type' of each customer - you have to relate to people on their level if they are to 'buy' you and then the product or service you are selling. You can't preach to people or tell them they are 'wrong' - even if they are!

I have no time whatsoever for know-it-all salespeople or business owners who try to dictate to their customers 'how it is'. In a sales situation, nine times out of ten when all the talking is being done by the salesman/boss of a business, and almost none from the customer, it results in no sale being made. The former is more interested in the 'pitch' (and the sound of their own voice) than understanding the needs of the customer.

Hey, isn’t this a fun topic for a hi-fi forum!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I know where you're coming from, Tim, but such laid-back attitudes in business rarely succeed. Perhaps they did 20 or 30 years ago but not now. In today's highly competitive marketplace you have to plan to succeed or succeed to fail. Goals have to be set, and targets reached, otherwise a business will stagnate. Therefore you need a plan.

Like I said before, it's all about having the right attitude. A good businessman or salesman tailors his or her approach to suit the 'character type' of each customer - you have to relate to people on their level if they are to 'buy' you and then the product or service you are selling. You can't preach to people or tell them they are 'wrong' - even if they are!

I have no time whatsoever for know-it-all salespeople or business owners who try to dictate to their customers 'how it is'. In a sales situation, nine times out of ten when all the talking is being done by the salesman/boss of a business, and almost none from the customer, it results in no sale being made. The former is more interested in the 'pitch' (and the sound of their own voice) than understanding the needs of the customer.

Hey, isn’t this a fun topic for a hi-fi forum!

Marco.
    It is a fun topic, eh? And I essentially agree, Marco. I just think a lot of successful plans - both "then" and now - are done on the backs of napkins and by the seats of pants. If you have a product that is truly differentiated from the competition by something that appeals to a large enough target market, and you have enough sales/production capacity to serve that market when it finds you, that's a plan. Hell, show me that and I'll bring the market to your door. If I believe in it enough, I'll even take my payment based on results, as I'll make a lot more money that way. And there doesn't have to be a single MBA in the room.

Tim
    Last edited by tfarney; 24-07-2008 at 20:00.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345