+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Customers who should stay away from hifi

Default Customers who should stay away from hifi

In my life I have had quite a few odd fault reports from customers, making me wonder if those people should have stuck to their pocket radio. Since selling my TC-7510 DAC I have had another few reported faults that at 1st had me dumb struck. Here are a couple that I regularly get:

1. Customer: when I use the fixed output I get sound. When I use the variable output I don't hear anything.
    A: Try turning up the volume control on the DAC. That's why it is called variable.

2. Customer: My SKY+ box digital output has a different connection to the socket on your DAC. I am using coax from the TV out socket on the SKY+ box.
    A: Coax from the TV output is not the same as digital coax. The SKY digital output is a TOSLINK connection.

3. C: the DAC is faulty, and I can hear it clearly that it is via the headphone. The fault is intermittent. Sometimes the treble it is louder on the left, and the bass on the right. The fault is particularly annoying when I listen to virtuoso piano performances.
    A: Have you heard of stereo recording and do you know that the high notes keys on the piano are on the right, and the lower notes on the left? Now, swap the audio leads from DAC to amp over so that the high notes come out on the right...

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Haha... Excellent, Stan! 'Thick' doesn't even begin to describe it

I presume that you're the epitome of politeness though when explaining these 'faults' to your customers or do you tell them they're all 'balloons'?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I think i've got a problem with my stuff, the drums always seem to be in the middle.

leo is offline Circuit Junkie & DIY Room Forum Leader

Nice, thanks for the laugh Stan

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Al,try moving your chair nearer one speaker!

Quote Originally Posted by Sensimilia View Post
    In my life I have had quite a few odd fault reports from customers, making me wonder if those people should have stuck to their pocket radio. Since selling my TC-7510 DAC I have had another few reported faults that at 1st had me dumb struck. Here are a couple that I regularly get:

1. Customer: when I use the fixed output I get sound. When I use the variable output I don't hear anything.
    A: Try turning up the volume control on the DAC. That's why it is called variable.

2. Customer: My SKY+ box digital output has a different connection to the socket on your DAC. I am using coax from the TV out socket on the SKY+ box.
    A: Coax from the TV output is not the same as digital coax. The SKY digital output is a TOSLINK connection.

3. C: the DAC is faulty, and I can hear it clearly that it is via the headphone. The fault is intermittent. Sometimes the treble it is louder on the left, and the bass on the right. The fault is particularly annoying when I listen to virtuoso piano performances.
    A: Have you heard of stereo recording and do you know that the high notes keys on the piano are on the right, and the lower notes on the left? Now, swap the audio leads from DAC to amp over so that the high notes come out on the right...
    Easy to mock but all of us would be as naive in fields of which we know nothing. One thing I learned at school was, when in doubt always ask; do you know what, those dumb questions I asked were foxing other guys as well but they didn't want to ask for fear of looking stupid... ? So, slacken the ropes a bit guys.

I'm Howard.

Quote Originally Posted by hiredfox View Post
    Easy to mock but all of us would be as naive in fields of which we know nothing. One thing I learned at school was, when in doubt always ask; do you know what, those dumb questions I asked were foxing other guys as well but they didn't want to ask for fear of looking stupid... ? So, slacken the ropes a bit guys.
    100% correct. Well done that man.

---//---
    Well, hello.

I'm gone.

Yes, OK - but it's still a giggle for those of us who do know their input sockets from their elbows.

Quote Originally Posted by hiredfox View Post
    As the original clueless n00b, I entirely agree with that. I'd rather ask a dumb question and be thought dumb than take a chance and end up blowing something up and/or electrocuting myself!
    Roksan Xerxes X/Morch tonearm/VdH Frog Gold
    TEAD Groove phono amp
    MF passive preamp
    Border Patrol SE300B power amp with Western Electrics valves
    Merdian 500 transport
    Chord DAC64
    Audiovector Mi3 Signature speakers
    Various Chord cables
    Target equipment stand

I'm Nick.

A stupid question is only a good question asked twice. I work in a 'technical' role managing database systems and a lot of the people we work with have non-technical backgrounds. They know their stuff, just not mine, yet. I don't mind 'stupid' questions, so long as the person asking wants to hear the answer, and retains it! The ones that really p--- me off are the ones who always ask the same bloody questions over and again, too lazy to remember

But you're right - once you know the answers you gotta laugh
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast