+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recommended headphones for under £50

I'm Keith.

Another vote for the Porta Pros from me. I've got 3 pairs.
    Keith
    Analogue: Lenco L75 with 'PTP5' top plate in heavy birch ply plinth/re-wired Rega RB300/SAE 1000e HOMC Cartridge/Trans-Fi Reso-Mat/Moth RCM
    Files: Voyage MPD/Custom PC/Supra USB/Beresford ASYNCH-1/Beresford TOSlink cable
    CDP: Inca Katana SE
    DAC: Beresford Caiman MkII (LiPo Battery powered)
    Pre-Amp: Croft Micro 25 Power-Amp: Croft Series 7
    Speakers: DIY Frugel-Horn Mk3 ('FH3') + REL Strata subwoofer
    Headphones: Beyer Dynamics DT990 Pro (250 ohm)/Schiit Asgard Headphone Amp
    Cables - Interconnects: Mark Grant G1000HD Speaker Cables: Van Damme Blue
    Mains: Belkin PF30/Mark Grant DSP2.5 & DSP1.0 Rack: Target

Office System: HP Win8 Laptop/JRiver/MF V-Link2/Beresford Bushmaster MkII/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 771e
    Bedroom System: Raspberry Pi/Raspbrian + MPD/HiFiBerry DAC/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 760i or DIY Hybrid Valve-MOSFET Headphone amp + Sennheiser HD595

Gallery

I'm drunk.

Another vote for Portapros. Then spend an extra tenner fitting them with Sennheiser PX200 cushioned pads

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Techno Commander View Post
    Another vote for Portapros. Then spend an extra tenner fitting them with Sennheiser PX200 cushioned pads
    Another vote for Portapros.

Andy, what kind of benefits do you get with those Senn pads, and is it a simple job?

Paul
    Paul.

I'm drunk.

The pads are a simple fit. Just remove the original foam ones and replace with the cushioned pads. They are a tight fit and a little perseverence is required, but no modifications are needed.

Improvements - mich more comfortable, as with the standard pads, you feel the plastic from the cans against the side of your head. The additional padding stops this. It also makes the sound seem more open as the cans arent pressed to tight against your ears. Finally, the top end is a bit clearer, as the sound isnt restricted by traveling through the foam.

I got mine here.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I thought the PX100's were too bassy and dull, but when my wife complained that the wire round the plug was going intermittant, I got some good used ones on fleabay. Now, the original pair were bought as "service replacements," and looking at the two pairs I can now see that the first pair were fakes - very good fakes, but lacking the finish and fine details of the second pair. The "official" pair sound slightly better too as one would expect and they are great for portables and basically smooth with no nasties..
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Techno Commander View Post
    The pads are a simple fit. Just remove the original foam ones and replace with the cushioned pads. They are a tight fit and a little perseverence is required, but no modifications are needed.

Improvements - mich more comfortable, as with the standard pads, you feel the plastic from the cans against the side of your head. The additional padding stops this. It also makes the sound seem more open as the cans arent pressed to tight against your ears. Finally, the top end is a bit clearer, as the sound isnt restricted by traveling through the foam.

I got mine here.
    Will do. Thanks.

Paul
    Paul.

Just coming back to this thread, any opinions on the Sennheiser HD238?

I have read some reviews saying that the PX100-II can be a bit boomy (and bright) sounding - which concerns me a bit...

Anyone here listened to both?
    Steve.

I'm Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    I thought the PX100's were too bassy and dull, but when my wife complained that the wire round the plug was going intermittant, I got some good used ones on fleabay. Now, the original pair were bought as "service replacements," and looking at the two pairs I can now see that the first pair were fakes - very good fakes, but lacking the finish and fine details of the second pair. The "official" pair sound slightly better too as one would expect and they are great for portables and basically smooth with no nasties..
    I've just replaced a pair of Sennheiser CX400II's in-ear 'phones that I bought on eBay... and they were fakes too... like you describe, they look very similar, but compared with a pair I bought a couple of years ago in HMV they weren't as well finished, and sound quality wise they were rougher; annoyingly so.

So do watch out for knock-off eBay Sennheisers that are priced too cheap to be true.

I've now got a pair of Jays Q-Jays... twice the price the OP is looking to pay, but absolutely worth it. Fantastic in-ear headphones.

http://www.jays.se/products/earphones/q-jays.html
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12