+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Eastern Electric MiniMax DAC (VERY early impressions)

I'm Chris.

If I hadn't chosen MHDT Havana (after initial Paradisea) I'd have gone for these. Nice to have handcrafted stuff!
    Chris.

I'm Nick.

I have been trying to second guess the effect of using a 88 instead of a 82. As Ali says the anode voltage will be too high, so anode current will be high, but if its cathode bias as it probably will be in a phono then it should be ok. In fact the 82 may well be a cathode follower so that should not to be too bad. But the only way I can see the valve heater lighting up for both valves is if the 82 used 12v heaters (between pin 4 and 5), so the 88 will have been running with 12v on its heaters, which would explain why it was hot. Hopefully the heater supply will current limit so its getting a bit less than the full 12v.

Hopefully if there is any casualty, it will be the 88.
    Nick.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Anthony TD's views on this subject may be useful

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

hi all,

as lurcher [nick] has already stated ECC81,2,3 are all primarily 12v [pin 4,5] heater twin triodes, but they can be run on 6v as they have a
    centre tap heater which when connected this way you would normaly join pins 4,5 together and use them in conjunction with pin 9. ECC88 is a fixed heater type of 6v between pins 4,5 so cannot be used in the same configuration as ECC82!

also maximum plate voltages for the ECC81,2,3 is around 300v, ECC88 has a maximum of around 130v but is normaly run around 90v in most circuits.
    i hope this helps.
    Anthony,TD...
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm CaughtBetweenTheDevilAndTheDeepBlueSea.

Quote Originally Posted by lurcher View Post
    I have been trying to second guess the effect of using a 88 instead of a 82. As Ali says the anode voltage will be too high, so anode current will be high, but if its cathode bias as it probably will be in a phono then it should be ok. In fact the 82 may well be a cathode follower so that should not to be too bad. But the only way I can see the valve heater lighting up for both valves is if the 82 used 12v heaters (between pin 4 and 5), so the 88 will have been running with 12v on its heaters, which would explain why it was hot. Hopefully the heater supply will current limit so its getting a bit less than the full 12v.

Hopefully if there is any casualty, it will be the 88.
    In hindsight, the sound did become "cleaner" when I used the 88; however that was it.... it didn't get any better, not actually more "clearer" or "transparent" to the recording... let alone more musical...
    MALEK
    There is no way to happiness... Happiness is The Way...

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyTD View Post
    hi all,

as lurcher [nick] has already stated ECC81,2,3 are all primarily 12v [pin 4,5] heater twin triodes, but they can be run on 6v as they have a
    centre tap heater which when connected this way you would normaly join pins 4,5 together and use them in conjunction with pin 9. ECC88 is a fixed heater type of 6v between pins 4,5 so cannot be used in the same configuration as ECC82!

also maximum plate voltages for the ECC81,2,3 is around 300v, ECC88 has a maximum of around 130v but is normaly run around 90v in most circuits.
    i hope this helps.
    Anthony,TD...
    Thanks for the clarification... I should really pay more attention to what was printed on the tube
    MALEK

Back home after a few days abroad... and I've just replaced the incompatible Siemens E88CC/6922 with a compatible favourite Pearl CryoValve that I've had forever (to the point that I no longer remember which NOS vintage they are ) and the sounds emanating from my system are absolutely sublime.... dripping with atmosphere and bristling with detail in a totally natural unforced fluid flow (dare I say analogue?)... a match made in Hi-Fi Heaven!

It's come to a point where I'm now considering getting a brand new NOS Pearl CryoValve (Gold Grade/Plus) as the current one (originally Ultra-Low Noise Grade) has seen many years of wear and tear in it's earlier installation in a pre-amp that I'm no longer using...

p.s. While I take the time to consider spending more money than I normally would on a single valve, I'll continue exploring other compatible valves in my humble collection
    Last edited by PRYML; 25-11-2010 at 19:00. Reason: edited for clarity ;)
    MALEK

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Mullard M8136 or CV4003 would be good choices.Langrex here in the UK sell them.

Hi Ali,

As it so happens, I do have a Mullard CV4003 on hand and at your suggestion, did install it in the DAC. However, after a couple of unmusical days, I re-installed the Pearl CryoValve to regain the lost sense of transparency, "air", sweetness, PRAT and dynamic range/impact, that I was enjoying before...

While playing J.S.Bach's Orchestral Suites through the Mullard, it sounded as if the music came in as a single mass emanating from a distance, where the strings which normally took center-stage seemed overwhelmed by the accompanying instruments and I wasn't able to appreciate the inter-play between the performers etc.

Having said that, I only noticed the full measure of what I was missing after re-installing the Pearl CryoValve. Before then, I felt that there was a distinct reduction in signal gain, size of the soundstage, separation between the instruments (smearing of sound?) and the music flowed in a very sedate manner (so laid-back that it almost sounded lazy! ), in comparison to the Pearl CryoValve it replaced.

The only time where I truly appreciated the Mullard was when I playing the Solitudes' Natural Sleep Inducement CD (yep, insomniac at large here ) as the Mullard presented it in such a way as to only be perceivable by the periphery of my Consciousness; unlike the the CryoValve which has a tendency to make me sit up and listen to everything going on in the recording...

I've recently obtained french NOS valves from Mazda (military-spec Cifte with the dual flags printed on the tube and carefully packed with paper damping etc) and another with the Mazda Radio label on the box without any sort of protective packing and no dual flags printed anywhere I'll try them out in due time as I've yet to install the Artisan Digital Dream digital IC and another silver IC which has been waiting for me at the postal parcel centre. Apparently, they arrived a month earlier but I never got the first notification and was only recently made aware when the second notification arrived to warn me that my order will be sent back to the sender if they're not collected

I'll be continuing with more tube-rolling once the new ICs have been properly burnt in (which may take awhile as I'm often abroad)
    Last edited by PRYML; 02-12-2010 at 17:06. Reason: Grammar error :P
    MALEK

I'm inthescottishmafia.

I guess the Mullard may be tired.I've found them very good in the past. How's the dac sound now you've got a few hours on it?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast