+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Eastern Electric MiniMax DAC (VERY early impressions)

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    ECC88 and ECC82 are not interchangeable. Change it for an 82 or equivalent.82 runs a plate voltage of up to 300v,the 88 only to 130v or so. No wonder it's running hot. Take it out pronto! They are not pin compatible either.
    As if by magic the shop keeper appears I knew someone would be along that knows what they are talking about

It's a pity a good friend of mine doesn't listen as he'll soon be facing a huge repair bill His KSA250 is running miles too hot & suffering from thermal runaway. I'd expect thermal stability inside of a few hours, this one just kept getting hotter & just before i left there was no way you could keep your hands on the heatsinks for more than a second.. Must have been 60C+ so the transistors must be getting on for 80C+ or more

It's soon going to go bye bye. I did bring this up but all i got in response was "it's a Krell, it's what they do"... I rest my case
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm inthescottishmafia.

You can't tell some folk.Let him learn his own lesson.

You can't tell some folk.Let him learn his own lesson.
    Indeed, well he just payed £1750 for it, i'd hazard a guess & say that when it pops (most likely at start up) that the repair will cost more than the amp did & he'll have to get it to London first just to add insult to injury

I made my case & said my bit, like you say Ali, some folks just don't want to listen to good advice
    Bests, Mark

I'm inthescottishmafia.

If it's not a valve it shouldn't run too hot to touch!

If it's not a valve it shouldn't run too hot to touch!
    Exactly The heatsinks were too hot Well like i say, i said my bit.. If he's not prepared to listen it looks like i'll be getting spares for mine sooner or later
    Bests, Mark

I'm Nick.

A good rule of thumb, a 50C heatsink is just cool enough to press your hand against, but you will decide to remove it withing 10 sec or so.
    Nick.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Yes,the A370 ran at about that.

Quote Originally Posted by lurcher View Post
    A good rule of thumb, a 50C heatsink is just cool enough to press your hand against, but you will decide to remove it withing 10 sec or so.
    Agreed, a 25C temperature rise above ambient is ok The KSA was probably about that kind of temperature when i got there (7PM) & it had been on for 6 hours apparently. But just before i left (1AM) it was impossible to touch the heatsinks for more than a half second as it was just about burning it was that hot It wasn't being driven hard, damn it wasn't even getting out of the class A region (28W RMS 8ohm) but it just kept getting hotter.

Maybe my 60C+ estimate was too low, all i know is it isn't long for this earth Not at those temperatures anyway...

The output transistors will fail sooner than later due to fatigue from heating & cooling to such ridiculous temperatures.
    Bests, Mark

I'm Nick.

Yep, it will boil its caps as well.
    Nick.

I'm CaughtBetweenTheDevilAndTheDeepBlueSea.

ECC88 and ECC82 are not interchangeable. Change it for an 82 or equivalent.82 runs a plate voltage of up to 300v,the 88 only to 130v or so. No wonder it's running hot. Take it out pronto! They are not pin compatible either.
    Thanks for the heads up Ali... I only just realised that I got tubes mixed up with those I saved for use in my Assemblage pre-amp!

I'm currently abroad now and will rectify the situation tomorrow when I return home. Having said that, the DAC was kept running pretty hot for at least a couple of hours before I turned it off
    MALEK
    There is no way to happiness... Happiness is The Way...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast