+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Eastern Electric MiniMax DAC (VERY early impressions)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm CaughtBetweenTheDevilAndTheDeepBlueSea.

Talking Eastern Electric MiniMax DAC (VERY early impressions)

I've only just (literally!) installed the EE MiniMax in my system, after a quick adjustment to the voltage rating to 240V (initially set to Hong Kong's 230V), and my first impression was a sense of "extreme openess" to the sound even though the sound hasn't really started to flesh out yet!

Transport duties are by the aging but reliable Marantz CD6000 OSE K.I.Signature, through the coaxial digital connection via a van den Hul D102 Mk.III Hybrid interconnect I had lying around ever since the MAD My Diamond Silver Signature took over... I'm still waiting for the Artisan Silver Cables' Digital Dream digital interconnect to be delivered

The Phase-in/out toggle brought about discernible differences which (to me, anyway) were more than subtle...

It's way too soon to make any more valid critical comments aside that it somehow sounds most unCD-like... so to sum up with two words I'd hazard to say a very "open & unforced" quality to the sound... and that applies to both the solid-state and tube output, though through the tube output you get a more satisfying "meatier" presentation

When away, I'll be playing IsoTek's Full System Enhancer & Rejuvenation Disc to expedite the burn-in process; I'll update you all again in due course

p.s. the first impressions was made through playing the original movie soundtrack of "NARNIA: Prince Caspian"
    MALEK
    There is no way to happiness... Happiness is The Way...

I'm invisible.

hope to hear fom you again once you have a few more hours on it....sounds like fun.....
    If only it was that simple

Main System :
    Quad II/40 amps, Music First passive pre, Tannoy Stirling SE speakers, Technics 1200 + RB301, V-LPS, digital streaming from Mac mini via Lifatec Toslink to Moon 300D. Meier Corda Arietta headphone amp, Sennheiser HD650 Phones. Mark Grant i/c cables. Speaker cables, Audioquest Rocket 44 BiWire.

Ray.

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Grant View Post
    Does look good:
    http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/e...ctric/dac.html

Wish it had remote control volume, but looks manual looking at the inside pictures.
    Here's another ;-)

http://www.audiophilia.com/wp/?p=4804

p.s. If you scroll all the way down to the comments of the review, you'll find that the reviewer actually bought one for himself!
    MALEK

ok... this is kinda odd, as none of the Hi-Fi equipment I've ever owned has ever done this in this house...

Every time I flick the switch for the fluorescent lights in my bathroom, and even the one next door, the DAC loses the signal (indicated by the signal indicator on the front panel) every time the "starter" on the lamp does it's thing. The signal is loss 2 to 3 times as the lamp flickers alight and it's loss once again when the lamp is switched off...

I guess it's about time that I install the IsoTek Aquarius EVO3 mains power conditioner that I was initially planning to get at a later date

So far, as the DAC burns in, I'm starting to favour the solid-state output over the tube output; still using the stock 12AU7 that came with the DAC. Even though the stock tubes impart a more "substantial" presentation, I can't help but feel that some ambient information is being veiled and the DAC does pick up a lot of ambient information if the solid-state output is to be believed....

Too much of a "good thing" perhaps, or just that the stock tube hasn't had enough time to properly burn-in? The pre-amp section of my hybrid amp is also equipped with a couple of tubes... They're 12AU7 by Electro Harmonix... When I can, I try to stick to current production tubes as opposed to using ever more depleting stocks of NOS tubes (and the prices to match the scarcity), though I do possess a few NOS Siemens, Mullards and a pair of cryogenically treated tubes (which has long since bit the dust) which I couldn't resist getting
    MALEK

I'm Chris.

If I hadn't chosen MHDT Havana (after initial Paradisea) I'd have gone for these. Nice to have handcrafted stuff!
    Chris.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

A bit of rolling might change your view of the valve output stage. Always worth trying imo.

You're absolutely right Ali!

Any hint of veiling I perceived earlier was banished by popping in a NOS Siemens E88CC/6922

The stock tube I popped out is printed with "EASTERN ELECTRIC Premium Grade 12AU7 ECC82", so I'm basically clueless as to who the actual manufacturer is

Time to wait again for the brand new tube to burn-in, before I begin any critical evaluation
    MALEK

I just noticed that the Siemens tube runs significantly hotter than the stock tube. I wonder if it's a compatibility issue... or is this just a characteristic of NOS Siemens

As I understand it, heat reduces the productive life of a tube... but I must admit, the gains in clarity to the sound is significant
    MALEK

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Quote Originally Posted by PRYML View Post
    I wonder if it's a compatibility issue...
    I know next to nothing about tubes, but it's quite possible that they may well run on slightly different heater voltages. If it's set for the original tube it might be a bit high for this?

No idea, i'm sure someone will be along to fill you in though
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast