+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bongiovi DPS for iPhone

I'm seldomaroundnow.

Lightbulb Bongiovi DPS for iPhone

Hi,

just released for iPhone:

iLounge Press Release

Link to iTunes Store

Whilst the free app provides free profiles for the standard Apple ear-buds and the built-in speakers on supported iOS devices, access to further profiles requires a one-off in-app purchase, currently $1/69p until they reach their goal of 100 profiles.

Going to fiddle with it now, will post impressions later...
    Simon.

I'm seldomaroundnow.

Hi,

Well, I actually think this makes quite a difference to the sound! I'm using it to play some tracks through the built-in speaker on my iPhone 3GS, and it sounds far better than without - more scale and detail. Ok, so it's not really HiFi audio, but if it's the only speaker you've got, and you want to to play music through it (or movies, though this wouldn't work during my testing) then this is the way to do it.

*shrug* hifi doesn't have to be big, right? It's all about the sound, after all!
    Simon.

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by sburrell View Post
    Hi,

Well, I actually think this makes quite a difference to the sound! I'm using it to play some tracks through the built-in speaker on my iPhone 3GS, and it sounds far better than without - more scale and detail. Ok, so it's not really HiFi audio, but if it's the only speaker you've got, and you want to to play music through it (or movies, though this wouldn't work during my testing) then this is the way to do it.

*shrug* hifi doesn't have to be big, right? It's all about the sound, after all!
    Indeed...I suggest you try playing FLAC on your phone, rather than lossy mp3, you wouldn't even want/need to use a DSP
    Cheers, Will

I'm Nick.

It's the headphones that make the most difference. Plug a pair of £120 dual armature IEM's or a proper pair of over ear cans in and compare with a pair of £20 'phones.

It's really worth the investment if you plan on using your phone for portable audio, and why not, if you have it with you all the time.
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by Beechwoods View Post
    It's the headphones that make the most difference. Plug a pair of £120 dual armature IEM's or a proper pair of over ear cans in and compare with a pair of £20 'phones.

It's really worth the investment if you plan on using your phone for portable audio, and why not, if you have it with you all the time.
    Source quality is the best starting point IMHO
    Cheers, Will

I'm seldomaroundnow.

Will,
    Whilst I agree that ensuring the best source possible is vital, I don't think it makes such a difference in this case - my original files are all ALAC rips verified by AccurateRip, down-coded for the iPhone (well, it's only 16GB and I need space for movies and apps ) to AAC 256kbps. But the DSP essentially applies equalization across the track in order to compensate for the failings in the output source. The equalization is determined by the profile made of the device by Bongiovi themselves, hence the limited but growing number of profiles. If there isn't a profile for your output device (in my case, the iPhone's built-in speaker), there's no sense in using the DSP.
    Given that it's free, I really do recommend anyone with an iPhone download this, just in case they ever want to share some music with friends but don't have any speakers handy, or they want to improve the sound through the provided earbuds (also profiled by Bongiovi).
    Simon.

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by sburrell View Post
    my original files are all ALAC rips verified by AccurateRip, down-coded for the iPhone (well, it's only 16GB and I need space for movies and apps ) to AAC 256kbps.
    ...Simon, please excuse my apple baiting

That's one of the things that riles me about apple's iphone, if you want to expand your storage you have to buy the more expensive model.

I've just added another 32Gb to my HTC desire for £40...
    Cheers, Will

I'm seldomaroundnow.

Don't worry, I totally understand. Apple's philosophy is not for everyone. The reason I like my Apple products, including the iPhone, is that there's so little to worry about - I just get on and use my device. I can't say I've ever missed the ability to add to my iPhone's storage capacity - at the end of the day it is primarily a phone. That's not to say it wouldn't be nice now and then (eg. for storing movies). But I can understand why Apple left it out.
    Simon.

+ Reply to Thread