+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Kenwood DP 1100SG

I'm Greg.

Default Kenwood DP 1100SG

I bought this some while ago, as not working.I could find little information about it but seemed a solid unit so I thought it was worth £20 just for the transport and transformers

All the large caps had leaked so last weekend I decided to recap it and see what transpired.

Well pretty good all round, I have usually used digital out to caiman with other transports as the sound was more to my liking but the kenwood is not improved through the caiman. It produces a rather analogue sound with good detail straight into my pre. A bargain for £20

I would still like some further info on the unit if anyone has experience of this player.

Regards
    Greg

I'm Lee.

I can't help I'm afraid but I had and still have a kenwood dp560 (I think). Bought it in '88 for around £200. The 1100 has similar styling so I'd say it's from the same era.

I replaced my kenwood with an Audiolab 8000cd and couldn't hear much difference in all honesty. I've often wondered what dac chip the kenwood uses.
    Lee

Independent Apple tech support guy at Macnology

Gear: iMac > ALAC > Airport Express > Beresford Caiman DAC > Mark Grant IC > Audiolab 8000S > Chord Rumour Speaker Cable > Dynaudio Audience 42 Speakers > Grado SR80 Headphones

Vinyl: 90's Rega Planar 2, RB250, Bias Cart, Rega Fono Mini

Last.fm

I'm Marc.

I love Kenwood CD players had a few and currently using one of the last one they ever produced the DPF-3030 produces a fantastic analogue sound, all the magazines raved about it and i don't notice much of an improvement through my Caiman either.

The Kenwood you have (DP 1100SG) uses a PCM56P DAC (Burr Brown), full spec here: -

http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/data...wn/mXrstrq.pdf

I'm ChrisB.

Hi there Marc,
    It's always nice to welcome new members to The Art of Sound.
    It would be great if you'd nip over to the Welcome section & start a little thread to introduce yourself - that way you'll be sure of a warm welcome from the natives! Tell us a bit about yourself, your system & your taste in music.
    Thanks a lot!

I'm Greg.

Default 1100sg

Hi Marc,
    Welcome to AOS, and thanks for the info. Do you have any pics of yours without the case, I'd be interested to see if the rugged build and layout are maintained in the later model.

Greg

I'm Marc.

Thanks Greg, i can sort a picture of the internals no problem just give me a few days.

Marc

I'm Greg.

Default pics

Thanks Marc, no rush

Regards
    Greg

+ Reply to Thread