+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: intrest check wireless USB DAC

I'm Clive.

So your market is the audiophile who uses a Mac/PC for music in the same room as their system but where the computer is too far from the computer for a wired connection.

If the DAC also works with and makes sense for those who want a wired connection then ok. If it's only viable as a purchase in an in-room wireless scenario then the market seems small to me. But what do I know!
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

I'm Clive.

One other point, which you must have agonised over....how about an add-on unit for existing DACs? Unless your DAC implementation is very special it's going to have to compete with a lot of DACs out there which sound similar. DACs have to be updated regularly to keep up, even if only for marketing reasons. An add-on wireless module should be much more stable.
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

I'm Arend.

Clive,

Personally I think it will be more attractive for Laptop users instead of stationary PC/Mac users, the transmitter is portable and battery powered.

The idea behind it is that you have your music library interface + volume control within reach at your listening position without the need for a fancy music server (+ remote controlled interface). At the same time you keep the flexibility of a Laptop (with external HDD) and there is no compromise on SQ.

I'm Arend.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    One other point, which you must have agonised over....how about an add-on unit for existing DACs? Unless your DAC implementation is very special it's going to have to compete with a lot of DACs out there which sound similar. DACs have to be updated regularly to keep up, even if only for marketing reasons. An add-on wireless module should be much more stable.
    This is indeed something we have considered, just offering the wireless link with digital output. However, in that case we can not offer volume control / variable output which we think is a nice feature, besides that, competing with other DACs by improving the product keeps the market alive, which is both good for consumers and manufacturers.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by AirDAC View Post
    The Chord is nice but some of the differences to our system are:
    - no 24/96 support
    - Bluetooth = compressed signal due to limited bandwidth
    - no discrete channels thus no true channel separation
    - prone to RF interference
    - as far as I can see there is no volume control
    You are quite correct with your comment about lack of volume control.
    The rest unfortunately is bullshit - have you actually tried one their DACs ?

I'm merely pointing out the product you are competing with - rubbishing the competition gains you zero credibility points.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Arend.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    You are quite correct with your comment about lack of volume control.
    The rest unfortunately is bullshit - have you actually tried one their DACs ?

I'm merely pointing out the product you are competing with - rubbishing the competition gains you zero credibility points.
    I am not rubbishing the competition, just comparing specifications, which I think is fair when competing. In fact I said it's a nice product... you can not blame me for pointing out technical differences as I am here to find out if there is any interest. If my points are bullshit, please correct me where I am wrong and I will sincerely apologize for that.
    Last edited by AirDAC; 18-11-2010 at 20:04. Reason: Stratmangler already pointed out about competition, I deleted my repeat of that.

I'm invisible.

This is indeed something we have considered, just offering the wireless link with digital output.
    Put me down for one....providing its better that an Airport express. Not toslink either...
    Last edited by jantheman; 18-11-2010 at 19:44. Reason: added text.
    If only it was that simple

Main System :
    Quad II/40 amps, Music First passive pre, Tannoy Stirling SE speakers, Technics 1200 + RB301, V-LPS, digital streaming from Mac mini via Lifatec Toslink to Moon 300D. Meier Corda Arietta headphone amp, Sennheiser HD650 Phones. Mark Grant i/c cables. Speaker cables, Audioquest Rocket 44 BiWire.

Ray.

I'm Arend.

Quote Originally Posted by jantheman View Post
    Put me down for one....providing its better that an Airport express. Not toslink either...
    Thank you for your response, if we release a 'wireless link only' system this version will at least have toslink and coax output.

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Thank you for your response, if we release a 'wireless link only' system this version will at least have toslink and coax output.
    If you are going to be serious about this you need to include an AES/EBU balanced digital output.
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm Arend.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid Malenfant View Post
    If you are going to be serious about this you need to include an AES/EBU balanced digital output.
    Thanks for the suggestion, so:
    - toslink
    - coax
    - AES/EBU

Perhaps I2S either?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast