+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: intrest check wireless USB DAC

I'm Arend.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    Chord Electronics do a rather nice DAC called the Chordette Gem - transmits over Bluetooth.

http://www.chordelectronics.co.uk/pr...tail.asp?id=53

Just been looking further into it, and they've improved on the Gem http://www.petertyson.co.uk/ebuttonz...ch.shtml?fshop
    The Chord is nice but some of the differences to our system are:
    - no 24/96 support
    - Bluetooth = compressed signal due to limited bandwidth
    - no discrete channels thus no true channel separation
    - prone to RF interference
    - as far as I can see there is no volume control

I'm inthescottishmafia.

The Sabre would be a good choice IMO, certainly from a commercial point of view, as long as it's well implemented. Would be a good selling point at the moment. The resistor ladder sounds like a good idea too.

I'm Arend.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    Will it have remote control? At £900 I wouldn't entertain a pre-amp that didn't - not just because I'm lazy, but an essential item for me, needing to quickly drop the volume when playing a little bit too loud late and night, and as you put it "to have control (without wires) at their listening position."
    This is an interesting suggestion, we will consider it. The idea behind the volume control on the transmitter is that you have your Laptop at your listening position which is connected to the transmitter so the volume control is within reach. A remote control could be useful if you use it in a different setup like when you are having a party or something.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

One thing springs to mind. At the projected price, it will be audiophile types purchasing this rather than the computer-savvy general public, and given there is I think a percieved loss of quality using wireless, or at least a lot of audiophiles have that perception, I'd allow for wired connection also.

I'm Arend.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    One thing springs to mind. At the projected price, it will be audiophile types purchasing this rather than the computer-savvy general public, and given there is I think a percieved loss of quality using wireless, or at least a lot of audiophiles have that perception, I'd allow for wired connection also.
    The wireless link is in our opinion 'audiophile proof':
    - bit perfect
    - lossless
    - no latency
    - no RF interference
    - 24/96 support (unfortunately no 24/192 support yet)
    - discrete channels for L + R thus zero crosstalk
    - potentially 140dB SNR and 0.0001% THD (limited by DAC and implementation)

Personally I think the only disadvantage will be that it is limited to 24/96 support. I think/hope that a fair share of the users can live with this.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Looks good, and I don't disagree, but convincing people is another matter!

I'm Clive.

Why is the wireless reach only 35 feet? Of course a lot depends on the construction of walls and ceilings. Is the reach any different to a typical router/PC connection?
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

I'm Arend.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    Why is the wireless reach only 35 feet? Of course a lot depends on the construction of walls and ceilings. Is the reach any different to a typical router/PC connection?
    The wireless technology we use is not suitable for multiroom applications. Our wireless DAC solution is intended for those who want to use a Laptop/USB audio device at their listening position thus in the same room.

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by AirDAC View Post
    The wireless technology we use is not suitable for multiroom applications. Our wireless DAC solution is intended for those who want to use a Laptop/USB audio device at their listening position thus in the same room.
    This seems like quite a restricted market. Once people have ripped their music aren't they likely to branch out to some form of multi-room, if only for music in the kitchen. 35 feet could still be ok though.
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

I'm Arend.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    This seems like quite a restricted market. Once people have ripped their music aren't they likely to branch out to some form of multi-room, if only for music in the kitchen. 35 feet could still be ok though.
    This is one of the issues I am trying to find out, our wireless link is 'audiophile proof' but the trade off is that it is not suitable for multi-room.

I have placed the transmitter on a sidetable near my chair, when I want to listen music I just plug-in the usb cable, open album player and enjoy, truly convenient. And I can use other applications on my laptop at the same time as well if I want some background music while working or just browsing on my laptop. This kind of functionality is of course not unique (Apple Airport Express, Arcam rDAC, and others) but they have their trade off in terms of SQ and potential RF interference.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast