+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: intrest check wireless USB DAC

I'm Arend.

Default intrest check wireless USB DAC

Hi, I am new on the forum.

Currently I am involved in the development of a wireless USB DAC, at the moment we do have a working prototype .

Before we are going to manufacture it I would like to find out if there would be a reasonable demand for such a product, and if so, if our design and feature set fulfills most requirements...

The wireless DAC system compromises:

1. Transmitter/preamp
    - asynchronous USB input
    - 24/96 support
    - volume control
    - headphone output
    - wireless output
    - battery powered (+/- 50 hours runtime / 500+ times rechargable)
    - small 'tabletop' footprint (16 cm x 12 cm x 6 cm)

2. Receiver/DAC
    - wireless input
    - quality DAC
    - fixed and variable outputs
    - linear AC power supply
    - small 'tabletop' footprint (16 cm x 12 cm x 8 cm)

Wireless technology
    The wireless technology promises the following:
    - guaranteed free from RF interference
    - plug & play, no network settings etc.
    - 24/96 support
    - SNR > 120dB
    - true channel separation, 0dB crosstalk
    - no latency
    - reach about 35 feet

Functionality
    The wireless DAC system is useful for those who use, or want to use, a Laptop (or other USB audio device) as source component and want to have control (without wires) at their listening position.

Price
    The expected retail price will be about 900 GBP.

I think this might be an interesting product for (computer) audiophiles but I am looking for a confirmation and perhaps some suggestions / comments I did not think about.

Thanks in advance for your response.

Cheers!

Last edited by AirDAC; 17-11-2010 at 21:55.

I'm David.

Hi...
    Looks interesting ...
    What's the thinking behind the preamp at the transmitter end?
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm Arend.

Hi Hamish,

'Preamp' is perhaps the wrong word choice, it's just a volume control and we are thinking of adding an S/PDIF input as well, not decided yet.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

What do you call a quality dac?

I'm Arend.

Hi Ali Tait,

A quality DAC in terms of implementation and chip, the DAC will compete with 'wired' USB DAC's in the same price range.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Will it have remote control? At £900 I wouldn't entertain a pre-amp that didn't - not just because I'm lazy, but an essential item for me, needing to quickly drop the volume when playing a little bit too loud late and night, and as you put it "to have control (without wires) at their listening position."
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Chord Electronics do a rather nice DAC called the Chordette Gem - transmits over Bluetooth.

http://www.chordelectronics.co.uk/pr...tail.asp?id=53

Just been looking further into it, and they've improved on the Gem http://www.petertyson.co.uk/ebuttonz...ch.shtml?fshop
    Last edited by Stratmangler; 18-11-2010 at 08:14.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by AirDAC View Post
    Hi Hamish,

'Preamp' is perhaps the wrong word choice, it's just a volume control and we are thinking of adding an S/PDIF input as well, not decided yet.
    What's the thinking behind a volume control at the sender end, it occurs to me that people sending music from a pc to another room will be cotrolling the volume from the end they are sending the music to?
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Quote Originally Posted by AirDAC View Post
    Hi Ali Tait,

A quality DAC in terms of implementation and chip, the DAC will compete with 'wired' USB DAC's in the same price range.
    What I was asking was what chip do you intend to use,and what type of output stage?

I'm Arend.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    What I was asking was what chip do you intend to use,and what type of output stage?
    No decison has been made regarding the chip, the prototype uses a cheap DAC just to proof/test functionality. We are considering to implement the ESS Sabre ES9018 (dual mono) with discrete output stage for production model. But we know that a potentially very nice 24 bit resistor ladder chip will be released in February 2011 by a new company, we will be patient enough to try this one.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast