+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Newbie from the west country

I'm Terry.

Default Newbie from the west country

I would just like to say hi from Honiton Devon.
    No doubt i will be along with a few annoying questions soon enough.
    So i thank you in advance .

I'm InSpace.

Hi Terry,

Welcome to AoS. Ask away!
    Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

I'm Nick.

Hi there Terry! Us folk with annoying questions should stick together!

Welcome from Bristol
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Hi Terry and welcome, any questions - annoying or not - please fire away.

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

I'm Mike.

Greetings, Terry.

Lovely neck of the woods, Honiton, with access to some beautiful countryside and coastline.

What kind of system do you have?

I'm Terry.

Thanks for the welcomes everyone.

Yes i am lucky to live here and doing the job i do keeps me outside most of the time to enjoy my surroundings, i am a photographer for the local newspapers here.

Now then as to my kit - well i am a complete beginner when it comes to decent amps and speakers etc. I do have a setup for the TV that gives me the sound i want for films and TV programs and that is (don't laugh) a Onkyo TX-SR606 AV Receiver and a pair of Bose Acoustimass - 3 Series for the fronts (To keep the wife happy - As they are 'NICE AND LITTLE' ) Kenwood CM-7ES rear speakers and a kenwood powered sub SW501,center speaker is a B&W LCR60 S3. For me this is fine for general TV watching and the odd film watched on my Sony SACD player. But when it comes to just wanting to play some music well it leaves a lot to be desired.
    So i have a blank canvass to start with, regarding building up a system just for music. I know that i want to try a valve amp and was thinking of the Yaqin MC 100B and changing the Chinese valves for some better ones (will ask for your thoughts on this as to which ones to go for), as to speakers i am also open to suggestions to compliment this amp ?
    Your experience on this will be greatly appreciated.

You need to do quite a bit more to the Yaqin than just change some valves as Marco and AnthonyTD will no doubt explain.

Marco and Ian Walker's amp of choice is a modified Yaqin MC 100B. Mine is a modified Puresound A30 valve amp which in turn is a modified Bewitch.

Note the modified theme running through all of these amps.

I'm Terry.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Toy View Post
    You need to do quite a bit more to the Yaqin than just change some valves as Marco and AnthonyTD will no doubt explain.

Marco and Ian Walker's amp of choice is a modified Yaqin MC 100B. Mine is a modified Puresound A30 valve amp which in turn is a modified Bewitch.

Note the modified theme running through all of these amps.
    Thanks Steve !

I would be very interested to know what other mods need doing to the Yaqin i wait with bated breath. Just hope i understand what is needed to be done as i said i am a complete beginner. Anyone on the forum offer a service to do the mods ?

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Terry,

Welcome to the forum, btw

How did you hear about the Yaqin?

The best procedure, since the Yaqin is now available in a much nicer chrome version with upgraded mains transformers, is to order one direct from here in France:

http://www.tubophile.com/

Scroll down to the bottom and click on 'Yaqin'.

Then send it directly to Anthony Matthews of Tube Distinctions (who's on the forum) here:

http://www.tubedistinctions.co.uk/main.htm

for him to test and check everything is ok. It should be because you're not getting the 'raw' version direct from China, but it's best just to make sure. Anthony can then modify it further if you wish in terms of valves, capacitors, output transformers, etc.

It's a bit more expensive (I think about £600 inc shipping) compared to ordering it direct from China, which costs roughly £300 including shipping, but you get a much nicer looking amp that's also 'sorted' for UK voltage, and the performance is superb!

If you need any more info just ask. Anthony may perhaps wish to add some advice of his own.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Another option is to look for a Mr Liang 845.This needs no mods to work on UK voltage and sounds excellent straight out of the box.Sounds even better with some NOS front-end valves,and can be taken to another level with just a couple of simple mods,changing 4 caps and two resistors.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast