+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dual 505

I'm Alex.

Default Dual 505

I got intrigued yesterday by all this talk about the superiority of vinyl over anything digital, so I went into the archeological expedition deep into the bowels of my basement. Lo and behold, I managed to unearth my ages old Dual 505 TT! It is even fitted with Audio Technica cartridge, so that got me a bit excited.

The only problem is, I don't have a phono stage in my pre amp, so now I'm debating how to go about giving it a spin. A quick call to a friend confirmed that he has an old QED Discsaver phono stage collecting dust somewhere in his house. I did a quick googling on that one, seems like a real cheapo entry level phono.

My question to the gurus: is QED worth the trouble, or should I look into some additional expenditure to get me a decent phono? What should I be looking for?

Also, is Dual 505 capable of a decent playback, or is it pretty much a writeoff? I've checked it last night, the motor is purring, she seems ready to go.

Can't wait to give it a spin and compare the sound to my Logitech Touch into the Caiman.
    Last edited by magiccarpetride; 05-11-2010 at 18:21.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

The 505 series isn't as solidly built as the golden-age Dual idler driven machines (thinner deck plate and many had awful plastic plinths), but certainly with an Ortofon OM20, they could sound sweet enough, but with a certain scrappiness of tone that cheaper CD players have lacked for decades now.

Without knowing which 505 version you own, it's difficult to say more. if you have an AT95E, the tone will be a bit dull as the 95e rolls its treble away quite noticably. I understand there's a Shibata tipped version of the stylus available in the US, but know little more of it..

The thing is, the 505 won't damage any records you play and, if it fuels an interest, I'd try and grab a 1019 or a 1219/1229 idler machine, making sure the arm-height arrangement of the 1229 is working correctly. If you shop around, it may not cost you much to swap from one to another, as the 505 is newer and belt driven.

I deeply love certain old Duals and revere my 701. My current fixation with ancient Garrard autochangers is nothing to do with quality of sound, but the Duals I mentioned are true high fidelity grade and properly fettled can still be used as a main turntable. just avoid the later belt driven ones (1226, 1249 etc)..

Below, 1019

My 701 -

Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm David.

Default dual

Hi,Its always struck me that the dual direct drive is far better built than the technics.I'll start writing out my 500 lines now.I must not say such things,I must not say such things.
    Cheers Dave.
    Don't need any Tannoys - I've got the best. All cables supplied by pound shop or better.
    Cheatfinder General.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hewitt View Post
    Hi,Its always struck me that the dual direct drive is far better built than the technics.I'll start writing out my 500 lines now.I must not say such things,I must not say such things.
    Cheers Dave.
    Burn the witch!

They swim... the mark of Satan is upon them. They must hang.

FLAC / WDTV Live / Cambridge Audio / Tannoy VX12

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    The 505 series isn't as solidly built as the golden-age Dual idler driven machines (thinner deck plate and many had awful plastic plinths), but certainly with an Ortofon OM20, they could sound sweet enough, but with a certain scrappiness of tone that cheaper CD players have lacked for decades now.

Without knowing which 505 version you own, it's difficult to say more. if you have an AT95E, the tone will be a bit dull as the 95e rolls its treble away quite noticably. I understand there's a Shibata tipped version of the stylus available in the US, but know little more of it..

The thing is, the 505 won't damage any records you play and, if it fuels an interest, I'd try and grab a 1019 or a 1219/1229 idler machine, making sure the arm-height arrangement of the 1229 is working correctly. If you shop around, it may not cost you much to swap from one to another, as the 505 is newer and belt driven.

I deeply love certain old Duals and revere my 701. My current fixation with ancient Garrard autochangers is nothing to do with quality of sound, but the Duals I mentioned are true high fidelity grade and properly fettled can still be used as a main turntable. just avoid the later belt driven ones (1226, 1249 etc)..

Below, 1019

My 701 -

Here is my model: http://dual-reference.com/tables/CS505-1.htm
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

+ Reply to Thread