+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Beechwoods' Den - November 2010

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    Nick, I've just noticed your DBX gear. Do you have any DBX records or tapes, or do you use it to encode your own recordings?

I had a friend with a DBX expander in the the late 70s, he used to like using it with standard LPs to expand the dynamic range a little. This was with IMF Professional Monitors!
    I used to have a DBX '2BX' Dynamic Range Enhancer & matching '122' NR, great build quality & solid Teak side cheeks..These latter 70's range looked great

I'm Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    Nick, I've just noticed your DBX gear. Do you have any DBX records or tapes, or do you use it to encode your own recordings?
    I got it really just to check it out and see how it sounded. To be honest I think that reel to reel at 7½ ips doesn't need noise reduction, but the DBX224 does do an incredible job of making noise disappear, with only a very slight impact on presence.

My unit also has an input designed to take a turntable playing a DBX encoded disc. I'd like to hear how one of those sounds. I have read that a DBX encoded record sounds incredible in terms of noise-floor. But the discs are expensive and thus far I've not found one I'd like to listen to!
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm Doug.

Ah, JR149s. Reminds of my old "4 cylinder" system back in the day. Jr 149s, plus Lecson AP1x power amp and a Jeremiah Braithwaite cylindrical MC preamp (designed by Stan Curtis). I used to have the JRs wall-mounted on their own little hoop-like brackets. Used to mess constantly with the cabinet (Bostik sound deadening panels were the rage then). That was a nice little system.

dbx was one of those systems that I never quite fully embraced, despite working for the then importers. Reg Williamson gave me a very early test disc, which I must dig out. I never could avoid the feeling that I was hearing the noise floor pumping up and down behind the music. I must admit though that I was using 122/124 domestic units.

[edit] Found the dbx disc. It's Mahler Symphony No. 3, Horenstein and the LSO on a Unicorn test pressing, although in a normal gatefold (it's 2 discs) cover.
    Last edited by darucla; 03-04-2011 at 11:24. Reason: Added information

I'm Nobody.

Are we gonna get an update Nick

I'm Nick.

Not long now I've been away for a week but the room is ready for pics following my recent arrival
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345