+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 15 inch

I'm David.

Default 15 inch

Hi
    Hope someone can be of assistance here.I have a pair of Fane collosus 15b bass drivers,the data sheet says 99db for 1 watt,I had visions of using these drivers along with a horn midrange and tweeter in suitable cabs and using them with with a single ended valve amp,but these fanes appear to be so stiff that I cant see my almarro driving them properly,Does the fact that the Fanes have a powerfull motor assembly get round this problem or,am I wasting my time
    Cheers Dave.
    Don't need any Tannoys - I've got the best. All cables supplied by pound shop or better.
    Cheatfinder General.

I'm fightingmywayoutofawetecho.

Yes you would be wasting your time sos Dave as your not getting Mr Plank back
    My System:

Linn Akurate DSM,Naim 32.5 pre amp Hicap,Naim Snaxo Hicap,3x Naim 250 power amps,Active Naim NBLs.
    Dave Hewitt MR PLANK 4 watt SE and Jm Lab Electra 905s.

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

The reason they are "stiff" as you call it is due to having a higher resonance frequency than a hifi 15" woofer would have. Instead of 20Hz or below it'll more than likely be nearer 40Hz

The speaker will still have a very high sensitivity so you'll still make a lot of noise with a low powered amp Yes the large motor assembly will certainly help in this respect, but it'll be the fairly light cone & higher resonance that enables it to be so sensitive, after all, it is a PA driver
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm Chris.

Yep. The resonant frequency is 42Hz. These are bass drivers, not subwoofer drivers.

Should be good for about 45 Hz in a ported box but with high sensitivity, low distortion and staggering loudness capability. It should work well enough with a wee valve amp.
    iFi ZEN Stream/TV/CXC >> RME ADI2 DAC >> XTZ Edge A2-300 >> Rogers LS8a

PC >> Hugo 2 >> iFi Pro iCAN Sig >> Raal-Requisite CA-1a

I'm steve.

Quote Originally Posted by technobear View Post
    Yep. The resonant frequency is 42Hz. These are bass drivers, not subwoofer drivers.

Should be good for about 45 Hz in a ported box but with high sensitivity, low distortion and staggering loudness capability. It should work well enough with a wee valve amp.
    thats my take on them too

As you know dave I use twin 18' fane's in Hframes and i was very suprised by them... i bought singles first.. doubling up was quite something
    and my 2 or 5 watter is in control...
    the lack of distortion is quite something although it takes some getting used too... I've found distortion thickens the sound up which could be good or bad... depending on your tastes..
    cheers
    steve
    collector and DIY user of old british triode valves

Open baffles / single ended diy px4 and px25 valve amps

I'm David.

Default 15 inch

Hi Steve,I originally made some onken cabs,fitted goodmans midax and trebax horns,but didnt put the goodmans audium bass units in thinking the large fanes would be better.After trying this arrangement and seemingly having little bass I put the parameters for the fanes in the onken calculator and discovered they are not suitable in this cabinet.I may make new fronts and try the audiums instead,alternative is to use the plans from the fane site and knock up a poor mans tad.
    Cheers all Dave.
    Don't need any Tannoys - I've got the best. All cables supplied by pound shop or better.
    Cheatfinder General.

+ Reply to Thread