+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Presumably DAC's have got better over the last 8 years?

I'm Rob.

Default Presumably DAC's have got better over the last 8 years?

Oh, no, not another DAC thread!
    After the massive thread started by Grant, I hesitate to tap into the collective expertise/experience, but my request for help is quite specific.
    I listen to about 50/50 digital music and vinyl.
    The digital is either through a Marantz CD17 MkII KI Signature CD player or off a laptop, running flac files through JRiver’s library system, which they say will deliver a direct data stream via WASAPI from the C:drive to an external DAC without any Windows or any other processing. Currently the DAC is an 8 year old HRT Music Streamer II+, well reviewed in its day. My preference is the Marantz, a very smooth “analogue” sounding piece of retro heaven. The HRT is quite “exciting”, but it verges on the harsh.
    Preamp is either a Croft Vitale SC or a Tisbury passive, amps are Firebottle Mono’s, driving Monitor Audio Studio 20SE loudspeakers.
    I assume there have been any number of DAC improvements over the last 8 years. But, in these desperate times, my budget is tight. I have considered Topping E30, SMSL Sanskrit, Schiit Modi 3 and iFi Zen. I don’t need a headphone amp, just a DAC, via USB. I might be able to stretch to an SMSL M300 II or a Topping D50.
    From the above, you can see my heart is closest to valves/analogue and a smoother sound.
    Any thoughts much appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Rob

I'm Alan.

Hi Rob, hope you are keeping well.

I have a D50 that is going spare, out on loan atm. You would be welcome to try it.

Cheers

I'm Lawrence.

What's the maximum resolution of your files? I ask as I've been using an MF vDac recently and it sounds really good and as you describe. But I think the USB is limited to 16/48.

You can always downsample higher res files as you don't seem to like a hyper detailed sound anyway. Audio note reckon red book is good enough already and they know a thing or two!

Sent from my HRY-LX1 using Tapatalk

I'm Rob.

Hi Alan
    Sending email.
    Cheers
    Rob

I'm Rob.

Hi Lawrence
    The maximum resolution is 24/96. The HRT shows a 96K signal coming into it.
    Cheers Rob

I'm Rob.

Hi again Alan
    I've only got your orange.fr email address. Could you let me have your current one? Mine is still the same Gmail one.

I'm Rob.

Thanks, Lawrence. I like MF kit - I use their X-Can as a headphone amp - it's a nice sound, using a single valve. JRiver gives the option to downscale, so that might be an interesting option.
    Cheers
    Rob

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    What's the maximum resolution of your files? I ask as I've been using an MF vDac recently and it sounds really good and as you describe. But I think the USB is limited to 16/48.

You can always downsample higher res files as you don't seem to like a hyper detailed sound anyway. Audio note reckon red book is good enough already and they know a thing or two!

Sent from my HRY-LX1 using Tapatalk
    There's no 'extra detail' in 'high res' anyway.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

but maybe some extra something?
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    but maybe some extra something?
    For recordings made in 24/192 you get a whole load of frequencies way beyond our hearing. For analogue recordings 16/44.1 is already overkill.

When put to the test, no-one can hear a difference http://www.realhd-audio.com/?p=7001
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast