+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: doesn't anyone have an opinion

Default doesn't anyone have an opinion

what does a naim lover do to upgrade appart from the usual spend megabucks on naim stuff

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Gary,

Plenty of opinion on this. Will post tomorrow. Off to bed!

Laters,
    Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Densen is a good value-for-money alternative to Naim. A top-flight Densen system (B400XS/B250/B330 or B350 monoblocks) holds its own against anything by Naim this side of the CDS 555/Nac 552/Nap 500 combo (imho.)

Ok it will still cost you around the 10k mark for the above boxes.

Then you have modern valve amplifiers - the ones that do bass drive and PR&T. Our resident valve amp designer Anthony TD can modify either a Yaqin or a Puresound amp from China. The latter is already pretty good for the money and is ready to use. The former has a lot of potential but don't even switch it on if you manage to get one off Ebay. Just send it to Anthony who will not only make it safe but will make it sound better too.

Marco and I have already done this. I've gone for the Puresound as my starting point, Marco went for the Yaqin that he picked up off Fleabay for around £300. The Puresound cost me £1100 but it comes with decent transformers and a circuit that work with UK voltages.

Either which way you'll get a killer amp capable of seeing off most commercial offerings this side of 5k for around £1800 or less.

We both come from a Naim background so we don't exactly go for a pipe, slippers and chin-stroking sound. What we do get is an amp that, into the right speakers (90+ dB and either 4 or 8ohm but not too much in the way of deviation from the stated nominal impedance across the frequency range), gives you all the PR&T you could wish for with added realism, separation, tonal colour and texture thrown in for good measure.

I'm ILOB.

I heard the upgraded Yaqin very good value once its been upgraded a few other atlernatives along the valve route would include SAC from Thailand no upgrade needed and they sound great also might be wirth checking out the world Audio designs as well. A more expensive option would be EAR
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

Quite a few Naim owners from just about every part of the globe have been buying my Beresford TC-7510 DAC in the last couple of months. It gets mentioned regularly on the Naim forums. Do a search there to confirm. I am not clued up why that is, since we are talking about my £110 DAC versus Naim stuff costing 20X or more. But a lot of them have emailed me to say it is a worthwhile addition that allows them to add things like SB3 or Airport Express, and they get to keep their original Naim stuff.

Stan

What would you avoid

I'm gone.

I know that some Naim owners have been pleasantly surprised when they have tried even a cheap valve amp! A very different presentation which gives a different view on the music.

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensimilia View Post
    Quite a few Naim owners from just about every part of the globe have been buying my Beresford TC-7510 DAC in the last couple of months.

Stan
    Hey! Hi Stan - so you've been hiding out in the Naim forum, huh? No wonder I haven't spotted you around.

Yup, I can strongly recommend the Beresford DAC as a good sound at far too cheap a price - I've told Stan in the past that he could and should charge far more for this excellent sounding device!

Lots of digital inputs and outputs & a fine headphone amp included too! - here it is on eBay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Beresford-TC-7...QQcmdZViewItem

Oh, and it's got a pre-amp/volume control section, too. Honestly, Stan, you should be charging £300 for this - and it would still be a sonic bargain!
    Last edited by jandl100; 17-07-2008 at 08:34.

I'm Keith.

Gary Hi, you have to go and listen to some different systems, speakers make the most difference, try and find a pair of speakers you like and then build a system around them, if you are going to keep your current speakers ( what are they btw ) then you need to look for an amp that will drive them properly, personally I would stay away from valves unless your speakers are very efficient, Keith.
    Gary just saw your other thread proacs! Jerry ( jandl100 )had a pair of those fairly recently I believe.
    Last edited by purite audio; 17-07-2008 at 08:47.

I think he has Proacs Future.

I would go for a good Class A amp ( Pass Lab , Dartzeel ) or Nuforce Class D, the latter leaves plenty of spare cash for a good preamp .
    Hans

MBL 1531 -> Allnic L-4000 -> Audiolab 8000S used as power amp only -> Quad 2805. Cables: Transparent Ultra

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast