+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324

Thread: It's now time to ditch your Sound Hi-Fi/Herbie's mats...

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

This morning I've put the original 5mm thick rubber mat back on the Techie, doesn't seem to be doing anything wrong.

The sound of my system has changed significantly with the puresound 2a3 amplifier now in place, the balance has shifted I would say.
    But I'm going to spend a good deal of time listening with the rubber mat, I'm quite liking it so far, surprised.
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by chris@panteg View Post
    This morning I've put the original 5mm thick rubber mat back on the Techie, doesn't seem to be doing anything wrong.

The sound of my system has changed significantly with the puresound 2a3 amplifier now in place, the balance has shifted I would say.
    But I'm going to spend a good deal of time listening with the rubber mat, I'm quite liking it so far, surprised.

Dont be surprised at all Chris,

I found the same in my set up and that is / was in the context of experimenting with a long list of different mats, over a long period of time.

I'm known for having an ear that is extremely sensitive to changes in regard to the sound from my set-up (just ask my friends, daughters and the Mrs)

'It sounds alright, why you not happy with it ? why'd you keep going over and over ? type thing.......

The times they've seen me agonising and persevering with nailing the sweet spot via final on the fly vta adjustment.

I've always had the last laugh after when they've said 'thats sounds wonderful !'

Trust your ears Chris, everytime.

Mats in my exeprience do change the sound, some a little, some a lot.

Some dampen certain frequencies, some 'heighten' treble frequency and / or offer a sound or sense of greater clarity often depending on their structure ie: acrylic, foam, metal - they all bring something of that to procedings.

I found the 5mm Techie matt a bit too thick and hard for my liking which resulted in too much damping.

Mike News ETP (engineered teflon plastic) is excellent in terms of non resonance, composition and relation to vinyl so it really doesnt need much in the way of additional damping.

Mikes earliest pre-production reviewer found the softer 3mm Techie to the best of the mats he tried at that time, I then found exactly the same.

Everything comes through in a right and natural sense, nothing exagerated, dampened or dull. Instruments, vocals and textures sound as they should way over any of the usual regarded suspects I've tried.

Different things work for different people / systems and thats cool.

As I say, trust your lugs and if it sounds right and good then happy days Chris
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Thanks Robbie, I think I'll just listen to it for a few days and then switch back to my inspire acrimat and then decide.
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324