+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: It's now time to ditch your Sound Hi-Fi/Herbie's mats...

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

In my humble (ahem) opinion, the multi-ribbed Thorens mat that is usually on the 124 (and my 125) is quite good and far better than the mk2 Thorens mat. I should like to try the 160 Super heavy mat once it finally gets here, as this suited the Thorens decks better I understand from memory.
    Last edited by DSJR; 02-11-2010 at 20:09.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Alex,

...who then sold it to me as part of the SL-150 deal... and now I feel all inadequate!
    Lol.... The Sound Hi-Fi/Herbies mat is still a very good mat (jeez, I've been using one for long enough, so it hasn't become crap overnight!)

It's just that the Achromat 1200 is an exceptionally good one, and takes the sonic performance of the Techie to another level.

Fortunately (or unfortunately) things evolve all the time in this thorny hobby of ours, and so one is on a constant learning curve!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    things evolve all the time in this thorny hobby of ours, and one so is on a constant learning curve!
    Ain't that the truth - (sometimes, of course) and thank heavens they do!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

Damn right, Alex - it's all about having an open mind and trusting your ears!

As an aside, I see that Dave C is now selling Achromats (along with his stock mat, copper mat and Oyaide), despite having slagged off the Achromat in the past as being unsuitable for his 'holistic approach' to modifying the SL-1200.

How can you possibly have a 'holistic approach' with four different mats - all with varying sonic signatures??

Anyway, I digress.........!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Clive.

It just goes to show there are no absolutes. The Funk mat on my 301 and Salvation are trounced by a simple acrylic mat which in turn is bettered by a mat with a lot of upturned nipples!

These things are very specific to particular TTs/platters. Nipples are good though - at least that's true for the female variety.
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

Hi Clive,

It just goes to show there are no absolutes.
    That is my No1 hi-fi philosophy

And of course, if there are no absolutes, then in turn there is no 'one true path' to anything in hi-fi - including how to modify a Techie!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Mark.

I’m not a big fan of faffing about with turntable mats, you could spend a lifetime swapping them,
    either find one that looks fit for the job (most probably the one that comes with the TT) and stick with it
    or buy a turntable that doesn’t require one.
    At some point with turntables you have to move on from the “lets try this mat, lets try that mat phase”

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by markf View Post
    I’m not a big fan of faffing about with turntable mats, you could spend a lifetime swapping them,
    either find one that looks fit for the job (most probably the one that comes with the TT) and stick with it
    At some point with turntables you have to move on from the “lets try this mat, lets try that mat phase”
    Hi Mark

Interesting point ' if you find yourself constantly changing mats and generally fiddling with your TT ! perhaps its time to change the TT , is that what your getting at ?

The Achromat does have a slightly different tonal balance to the Herbie's , but i wouldn't have thought it very dramatic , but fancy trying one again as the 309 has such a different sound to the bright and zingy stock arm.
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

Hi Mark,

Yep, I totally agree - hence why the Sound Hi-fi mat had been happily doing its job on my T/T for nearly two years. The Achromat thing was totally unplanned and happened as a result of Arthur contacting me to audition his new tonearm.

However I'm glad he did contact me, as from an SPPV point of view, I've now had one of the best upgrades for my T/T ever...

One design factor is crucial for me, and this is that the Achromat shares very similar impedance characteristics with a vinyl record, which for me makes it the ideal interface between the record and the platter, and thus somewhat of a ubiquitous choice in that particular application.

The Achromat could thus be seen as a something with which to partner with your usual mat of choice, simply because of its unique 'vinyl mimicking' characteristics.

Therefore the Achromat will definitely be staying put as my reference 'record interface mat', regardless if I later choose to use it in conjunction with a copper mat, for arguably the ultimate mat combination with the stock Technics platter

Marco.
    Main System

Hi Chris,

The Achromat does have a slightly different tonal balance to the Herbie's , but i wouldn't have thought it very dramatic , but fancy trying one again as the 309 has such a different sound to the bright and zingy stock arm.
    Like I said, as with anything else, the results will likely vary from system to system.

On my T/T in my system, the difference between the Achromat and Herbie's was significant and easily discernable. Given your T/T set-up now, I think you'd love what the Achromat does

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast